The Manchester United Thread: That's It. That's the Joke (Part 1)

and the second coming of Old Whiskey Nose too

You shut your goddamn mouth!!!

Last season they were limited, but had a game plan. Importantly it suited the players they had and minimized the weaknesses that existed in the squad - namely defending with numbers to cover the shitness of the defenders, and no ability to control the game with possession. The problem was it was a game plan that has a limited ceiling and they were too proud to play in such a reactive way for the long term…it’s not the Utd way. Their attempts to be more expansive and proactive were done badly, but also resulted in magnification of those preexisting weakness.

I think that explains a large part of their regression this season. We also have to factor in that their second placed finish was a mirage and there was no way that side would start this season as the second best side in the league. However, the extent of their fall goes well beyond those two things. There is something toxic running right through the side in a way that cannot be addressed by just replacing the manager or buying a couple of good players. The team has completely given up. Yesterday they started 3 players who have either said they already don’t want to be there or have no intention of being there next year. One of whom quit the game after 5 minutes. Many of the lesser players seem to have taken their cue from those more senior players in a way that destroys trust…once you’ve been in a difficult situation with someone who gives up it is difficult to trust them again once the situation improves. Winning trophies is partly about talent, but its also partly about having trust that those around you are going to do their job. Utd have lost that and that creates a stain that is difficult to shift. They have so many players who need to be replaced because they just don’t fit, but even the rest who you think you might be able to do a job with are now tainted by this.

It’s really difficult for me to see how any of the players who were involved last night, with the exception of De Gea, can be part of a successful rebuild. Every single one of them falls into the category of being not good enough, part of the toxicity that has weighed them down, or tainted by that toxicity to the point they personally need to move on. That’s the size of the rebuilding job.

4 Likes

That was a team that I thought was set up to sit deep and try to protect their area. it was what I expected form them given the absence of McFred meaning they had no bodies to put in the middle to even try to contest possession. Sitting deep, Jose style, was their only option.

But the first goal was goal was scored in large part by them not doing that. Two players on the left were pushing high to try to win the ball from Trent/Hendo/Mo, and then maguire stepped up (ineffectively) when the ball came in to Mane. The result was all the space in behind. It didnt make sense to me, until Ralf afterwards stated that was not what he wanted to see.

They fucked up their entire game plan in less than 5 minutes.

3 Likes

“Ellen Degeneres is showing more interest in balls right now than this Man United team - and she’s a fuckin’ lesbian…”

I’m dead.

3 Likes

haaland signed for City! Bahahaha

Has he…money talks tho" eh.

An oddly apt reference as Ellen hasnt been relevant for 10 years either.

15 Likes

After the 5-0 at Old Trafford, I was like “the return match will be closer” (technically right :joy:).

Realistically, though, as we got closer to the game I figured one of two things would happen: they’d shithouse their way to a result, or we’d batter them. I think I mentioned elsewhere that we’ve been better than them for 9 years — and significantly better for the last three — without every truly throttling them before this season…can’t tell you how many “Liverpool could have scored four or five” I read after the results in 18-19 (3-1 and a 36-6 shot differential) and 19-20 (2-0 with 2 disallowed goals).

Losing 5-0 (at home!) and 4-0 to your biggest rivals is the kind of psychological albatross that is tough to get rid of — these results will be damaging to United fans and players’ psyches. Long may it continue.

3 Likes

Often forgotten, but we put 4 past them at OT last season as well on our march to claiming that 4th CL spot. So, that’s an aggregate 13-2 over 3 games.

8 Likes

And she’s a cunt.

Happy Simon Cowell GIF by America's Got Talent

I think I forget about it sometimes since we gave up 2 goals, even if scoring 4 at OT is noteworthy. Either way, so weird to think a year ago at this time we still hadn’t won at OT since 2014. They could have put a nail in our top 4 ambitions, but they ultimately were the ones who showed us we were back in the race, and we haven’t looked back.

At the risk of derailing the thread (to the same extent as United’s season), having the “apparently” kid on the show is the one positive mark I’ll give Ellen.

1 Like

Had to return to an old favourite. Seems a bit tame these days. I blame AFTV.

:wine_glass: :wine_glass:

6 Likes

Like his favorite team, too damn lazy to stand up with the men. :rofl:
Great health that.

2 Likes

I take it that picture was taken before we humiliated Utd again?

1 Like

From Mancs fans’ site.

9 Likes