The Manchester United Thread: That's It. That's the Joke (Part 1)

I wonder will all the silly pundits be expecting them to finish runners up next season :thinking:

2 Likes

I find it quiet concerning that it now seems to be ok to be receiving bomb threats just for being shite at football.

I’m gonna be fucking paranoid any time some bastard comes to my front door

3 Likes

Don’t worry; you’re safe. They don’t send bombs for being shite at posting on football forums.

4 Likes

The bomb threat at Maguire’s house is awful, and it is ridiculous that we live in that sort of world, and if anyone has done anything they should be punished to the full extent of the law. The fella is a carthorse, but a bomb threat? For an overpriced and average footballer? Come on. Get a grip, whoever has done that.

Please help me out as I genuinely don’t understand the details.

What does a bomb threat mean? As in, how threatening? Some idiot on a football forum saying we should blow his house up? Some idiot saying the same sort of thing, but they are known by the police to be dangerous and perhaps capable of doing it? Or was the threat such that a device was actually found, but an explosion was averted just in time?

so @SBYM will be safe

From the BBC story: He will be the first boss since Sir Alex Ferguson that other clubs will be genuinely fearful of.

Yep, they are going to be patient with any early struggles. Definitely.

1 Like

Yet

1 Like

The thing that’s interesting is that there is still a persistence in thinking about this in terms of transfers and buying players. The latest expression of this is musing on how many windows it will take to fix this.

Lads, it’s not about windows or transfer budget. It’s about having a club strategy that underpins everything you do. The coaching, the academy, the recruitment, the tactics and so on.

A fancy new manager is not going to change anything. I suspect he’ll improve them to a degree, but unless he is coming in to change the very nature of what Manchester United represents, fans are going to be disappointed.

As we keep saying, the closest comparison for Utd is us in the 90s and 00s. We had good managers, we won a few trophies, we had a few near misses. But the start of this golden period for us was FSG embedding their blueprint for what kind of club LFC was going to be. There is no evidence the Glazer’s think of Utd as anything other than a cash cow to be milked.

By the way, heard a good line about Ferguson earlier, who gets far too little scrutiny from fans and media for his role in Utd’s decline. He basically laid the foundations of the club’s decline in an argument over horse spunk. Can’t put it better than that :laughing:

14 Likes

Thread name suggestion

“The United Agent Dyche thread” or the

“The Dyche impersonation thread”

1 Like

You can also make a clear argument that Sir Alex’s achievements were based on the incredible luck of having half a team of genuinely superb (at their time) footballers coming up from the academy. Yes he bought well (and some dross) but he had some very favourable winds.

I hope that Ten Hag makes the same mistake as so many Dutch managers do when they go abroad, bring a shitload of Dutch players for to much money to the club :flushed::joy:

Can’t see Ter Heng wanting massive signings, goes against everything I’ve read about him as a manager.

When you see Darren Fletcher was part of the process you know it’s fucked.

Easy to see how it’s going to go with the likes of Pogba and Ronaldo staying or leaving, any decent manager is binning those off straight away.

Worth noting that United and probably Ferguson set up an excellent youth system from which they were able to pull in and collect all the promising youngsters. Things like Bobby Charlton’s School of Excellence were all part of that. It gave United scouts a free look at who was out there. Beckham was one of them via that route.

Only produced for a limited number of years though. Smack bang when SAF needed it to.

Scenes when after 3 seasons, they’re still starting McFred in midfield.

Ten Hag isn’t going to a club that cares about winning things, he’s going to a club that cares about revenue and share prices.

2 Likes

Another suggestion

“10 Hags and Maguire thread”

1 Like

Interested to see if Van der Beek gets a look in next season.

1 Like

No and I don’t think I said they could? They need to be banned for life. Same as our unsavoury element who sing Munich songs should be banned for life. That way what you’re left with is something better.

And I still would want our fans to have had the minutes applause. I don’t compare us to what other fans do. I want us to be above all that and on Tuesday we showed what we’re about. Just like the link you provided shows that element for what they are.

If you are suggesting that all utd fans are like that then I strongly disagree.

10 Likes

leonardo dicaprio bravo GIF

6 Likes

That may be the case, but that doesn’t prevent them from trying to improve things on and off the pitch to allow them to continue milking that cow.