The Manchester United Thread: That's It. That's the Joke (Part 1)

He’s added people later (which included rehiring pepjin) , Taffarel etc etc. Is that the same as Man Utd keeping restrictions on who Ten Hag can bring along ?

I don’t think FSG placed restrictions on recruitment. Klopp probably needed to assess who else needed to be brought in once he was here. He couldn’t take everyone from Dortmund, just his closest assistants.

His current assistant will join him, don’t know about the rest.

1 Like

Klopp/Buvac/Kraweitz were always a combined package. Klopp replaced Buvac with Pepjin later. But it’s not as if Ten Haag is going to get more than 3-4 people along with him from Ajax.

Ten Hag needs to stand or fall on his own decisions, subject to budget.

If he can’t hire the wally with the brolly then it is indicative of the problems at Man Utd. At that point, he should walk away, and whoever is blocking him should instead take the job, and demonstrate their own chops as a footballing authority.

1 Like

Supposedly the Telegraph report was bollocks, and they later retracted it. Can’t confirm this as I’m not on the Twitter.

2 Likes

Not surprised. It follows the pattern with Ten Hags appointment - with the rumours initially suggesting they thought he wasn’t suitable, only for that to be quickly denied following Pep’s comments.

1 Like

Yep. Bottom line is, united are still a shitshow. Their PR department is wank, their players are wank, and their football governance structure is wank. Ten Hag might be a decent coach, but he’s walking into an unwinnable situation. In order to do what needs done to turn that club around back into winners, they need a massive clearout of most of their decision-makers at the highest levels. They’re not going to do that willingly.

Passing on Conte back in October told me all I needed to know. The guy is a proven winner who has won everywhere he’s been, would shake up the structure and make demands on the board if they want to keep winning. They could plainly see that the ship was sinking with Ole at the helm, and had a chance to bring in Conte who would almost certainly turn things around and at least get them firmly in the top 4 and maybe have a deep cup run or two. Instead, they kept Ole on for too long, then brought in an interim manager for 6 months - a guy who had never been successful as a manager. Any cunt could see that their squad of shite players wasn’t going to up their game for Ralf, and that has been borne out in the results. They’ve then publicly made it clear that they were doing an “extensive search” when every cunt knew they were gonna get Ten Hag because that’s who the fans were most vocal about wanting.

And this is how they do business. They make decisions based on what’s trending on twitter among their fanbase. Players are bought that they think will make the fans happy and create internet buzz, nothing to do with who will actually fit and contribute to their style of play. United fans are deluded if they think that Ten Hag will be any different than the previous 5 managers they’ve had. Many more years in the wilderness await…

3 Likes

United needs building up from the scratches and neither their management nor their fans are patient or prudent enough for that. Forget Ten Hags, even 100 hags aren’t enough.

2 Likes

How nice that his likely last 5 minutes in a United shirt ended in such a dismal result for them.

2 Likes

That’ll strengthen them in their fight for Euro Conference

2 Likes

I didn’t notice it initially, but Podga was already limping at least 10-20sec before the passes leading to Luis Diaz’s goal.

2 Likes

Screenshot_20220422-163500

5 Likes

I’m still not sure what formation they were playing once he went off. Was Lingard in midfield?

I’m not sure, either, but he was definitely the most promising youngster on the field… wherever he was.

3 Likes

I haven’t a clue. I didn’t even realise Elanga was on the field until he got subbed. They were a mess.

Do the club have the self awareness and patience to do the root and branch job that seems to be needed, building a new culture as well as a new team? Or is there an entitlement, an expectation to be the biggest club in the world and act accordingly i.e keep throwing money at the problem and expect things to change?

The steps they’ve taken, getting Rangnick and TH, suggests maybe there’s been a shift towards a more cohesive and longer(ish) term strategy. But yes, we shall see :smile:

1 Like

Or is he Sean Dyche just starting out in management?

1 Like

Ralphie says he has never even met Tag… Strange if that is true…
Me thinks Ralphie will be gone before next season starts…

7 Likes