The Manchester United Thread: That's It. That's the Joke (Part 1)

Shark Tank Writing GIF

6 Likes

Ben White type liability. He’ll be hopeless unless Ten Hag plays a 3CB formation with slabby and Varane shielding him

2 Likes

Definitely interesting. I feel a CB at that height is a gamble in the PL, but maybe it’s more important to EtH to get the team playing his football, so that’s a compromise he’s willing to make? If he gets a defender who can do all the other bits, but sacrifice some aerial 1v1 strength, maybe he thinks it’s worth it.

1 Like

I genuinely hope he’s thinking that. Because you dont spent 60 million on someone who makes you have to compromise, and you dont make that sort of compromise at the back when the side you’re inheriting is coming of its worst defensive season ever (in PL terms).

Some other things I’ve seen suggested to explain the willingness to go for someone so lacking in aerial strength is that it’s not a big deal in a 3 CB system, but I really doubt that’s what he’s planning. Maybe he thinks his CB partner can do enough of that work for 2 players? Maybe he’s thinking that having McTominay in front of them mitigates the issue. I can see the logic in a one off game, but not in building your side…those bargains are just too dangerous. So the only thing I can think is that he sees no issue with spending big money on 5’9" CB in the PL. I really shouldnt go so deeply in on a player I really dont know much about, but by god I hope EtH is thinking that because I just dont see any circumstances where a CB of that size can thrive in this league.

3 Likes

Yeah it’s a bit of a chin scratcher this, isn’t it. I don’t think he’s going back 3 either.

My best guess is that he knows time is at a premium, and he’ll get no leeway, no excuses. So he’s just going for it, getting players he knows will help them play his football as quickly as possible. As far as he can know, obviously. He wanted Timber, couldn’t get him, so now goes out getting his partner.

So he’s compromising in one way, but not on his football principles. At least that’s how I see it. Or rather, that’s my guess.

1 Like

If you read Sky Sports News, they have. Oh no sorry, that would be Arsenal.

1 Like

Are we scraping fourth again? :rofl:

3 Likes

Seems like a good header

No one cares about Pisandro Partinez

1 Like

Maguire repeatedly booed for the first half hour of their match against Palace.

Sky are making a big deal about everything concerning Utd. It’s breaking news on Sky Sports because Martial has scored against Palace in Melbourne. So much hype about Ten Hag

Well you know they are going predict Man Utd for the top four again.

:rofl: :rofl:

5 Likes

That headline sums up everything I hate about football culture in this country now. I don’t find it remotely funny.
Would it be quite so amusing if he was one of ours? I think not somehow…

8 Likes

hilarious

Fuck, that’s really gross. What sort of person goes to a pre-season game and boos players.

5 Likes

Didn’t Karius get boo’d in our preseason games after the C/L final?

1 Like

Yeah, but that’s okay because he let a goal in while he had a concussion :man_shrugging:t2:

Sounds familiar. FWIW though I meant it as a general comment about people rather than one about Utd fans. Any person who did that to Karius is just as much of a weirdo as these people were regardless of whether they consider fans of the club.

12 Likes

I don’t remember that. Maybe by a few numpties? What I clearly remember though is him getting a lot of stick and mockery from the opposing fans every time he got the ball. That made him visibly lose the rest of his already low confidence in himself. Poor bugger.

3 Likes