The Manchester United Thread: That's It. That's the Joke (Part 1)

1 Like

Speaking of Pogba

Gotta say, that has to be one of the best advantages I’ve ever seen from a referee. Tbf, this is a very slick move.
Keeper should have saved it, mind.
1 Like

I’m laughing at Man Utd as much as the next Liverpool fan. But a quick glance at the table shows they will be second if they win their game in hand. Is that too good? I want them to have hope of doing well, but not to actually do well. Just enough to keep Ole at the wheel, but not enough to actually win anything good.

Is there any reason to be concerned by them?

1 Like

Nope. Not one.

11 Likes

Well the first guy he turned was utterly awful. Nice move for the second. After running 5 yards, he played no further part in the break, and simply ambled forward. Utter trash. We see Bobby do those moves every week and we still give him stick.

To my mind he’s awful and a tart (thus keeping @SBYM) happy). He is probably at home playing for United. He couldn’t hide so well anywhere else.

1 Like

I get your point. But the thing is it doesn’t matter how they or the other 18 teams are doing. If we are doing good (Mentality Monsters) the performances of other teams are not relevant. Yes, if they do badly, that affords us some breathing space (specially given how the referees and VAR are so invested against us).

Rather than performances of other teams, I’m more concerned with our fitness/injury situation.

3 Likes

‘Pogba, I’d like to introduce you to humble 19yo Curtis Jones:’

6 Likes

The Hairdresser against the Scouser!!! That’s not even fair :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

I would have been happy to applaud Pogba for that move if I didn’t see him applying some self congratulations at the end of the clip, as if spinning around a player effectively playing for a Football League quality team can make everyone forget how he plays 90% of the season.

I mean I’m not really complaining. The more Pogba believes he’s hot shit when on average he is just shit, the better IMO.

6 Likes

Has Ole at the wheel possibly managed to turn that vehicle after all? They seem to have found an air of relentlessness about them, something they seemingly haven’t had since ages. They rebound quickly after a disappointing result, and manage to get results. Their defence might seem abysmal at first sight, but they have the same record than us so far (19 goals received). They also have reversed some difficult in-match situations.

I sense a possibility that patience might hold reward for them if they stick with Ole at the wheel. Far from the finished product of course, but signs of progress are there, especially in the way how they quickly manage to get a bad result out of their system when one occurs.

1 Like

The teams they’ve come back against are mostly shit. They managed to crash out of the CL at the group stage despite being in pole position to win their group.

They are us from before Klopp came (and after 1990). Plenty of talent in the squad, capable of some great results, but in the end not ever that close to winning anything. They’ll fall away after Jan. Bruno can’t keep carrying the team like he has been, and Pogba will revert to type again. Patience.

11 Likes

No signs of progress for me. Ole had a good run when he took over. He had another good run after lockdown. Bad runs in between. As night follows day, another barren spell is just around the corner.

They’re not a top side and not to be worried about if we’ve got our eyes on the league. If United finish ahead of us we’ll be watching Liverpool on thursdays next year.

They’ve put a string of comeback wins together, that won’t last. They’ve had an almost perfect run of injuries and still look crap. 6 games in 17 days (including last nights) coming up and they have a weak squad.

We don’t need to worry about every side that puts a decent run together for a few games.

12 Likes

We were ridiculed for 20 odd years and they made the ‘Liverpool boom-bust cycle’. United have taken up the mantle. They win two games in a row, get ahead of themselves then capitulate against poor opposition. I’ll be worried when they are consistent. That’s not to say it won’t come this season. But there isn’t any evidence of it yet.

7 Likes

It all seems by luck though , rather than design. His team selections are invariably wrong , as are his tactics , his in-game management and his substitutions. It’s just all so haphazard.

His biggest problem by far though is the two dunces who play centre-back. Until they sort that out they’re not not going to be serious contenders for anything.

2 Likes

My head hurts.

And it’s going to hurt more once @Flobs catches wind of this. It’s his wheelhouse in this nuthouse.

2 Likes

(shhh lads, don’t speak too loudly, Woodward could hear ye…)

Come on lads, there is definitely progress. He’s just about to turn that little vehicle around. One small effort yet…

7 Likes

What would I do then?! Thing is, the season is so disjointed that any side that manages to string together a few wins will most likely climb quite a few spots on the table. They had two very long runs under Solskjaer, if I’m not mistaken, if they have a third this season, they could win the league. They will be only two points behind Liverpool if they win their game in hand, they have no injuries and their squad is bigger than that of most teams. They also have quite a few players who are capable of getting a goal or an assist out of nothing, which for me is the main reason why they haven’t lost touch with top two.

On one hand, I’m dreading the thought of Pochettino taking over there but on the other, if they keep winning, which are doing at the moment, they won’t need Pochettino to fight for the title. I agree that there is no discernible progress in terms of playing style, they improved the squad and got a world class player they needed at the right time and the others are feeding off him, not too unlike Suarez in 2013/14.

1 Like

Fixed it for you.

7 Likes

It’s not happening Nik, don’t worry :grinning:

12 Likes

And how did that work out for us?

3 Likes