The Manchester United Thread: That's It. That's the Joke (Part 1)

RIP Tommy Docherty. Rollercoaster operator for United in the mid 70s. Remembered for ever by their fans for spoiling our perfect season in 77.

2 Likes

jelly

1 Like

Yep, well said. RIP The Doc.

1 Like

I am worried, Manures can overtake us tonight by beating Villa 9-0.

:expressionless:

2 Likes

Manchester United have been awarded 27 penalties since Ole Gunnar Solskjaer was appointed in December 2018.

Seven more than any other Premier League team.

2 Likes

Something odd with them, watched them twice now and if this was simply a quality vs quality battle I’d be confident of overcoming them.

But it isn’t currently.

7 Likes

They are solid, have a fit squad, and a genuine match winner in Fernandes. They’ve had these good runs before, then a couple of injuries, followed by a poor run of form. The only difference is that we’ve had horrendous injuries and are struggling to win games. Patience is what we need, stay where we are until it really matters.

4 Likes

Agreed, we’re pound-for-pound way stronger (no pun intended) but they just get absurd amounts of luck. It’s frustrating because you look at them and don’t see their quality being reflected in the points they are racking up, most of their wins have been jammy bar Everton and Leeds. Fernandes is genuinely good and you can’t deny his impact, but it is important for pundits to remember his goal count is definitely inflated by the number of penalties they get. I can only hope they run out of luck at some point, although the one constant of this season seems to be United getting some luck. (Actually, hasn’t just been this season…rumor has it they still have that bucket of luck from 1999 somewhere at the Old Toilet.)

That being said, our squad now knows how to win a League…that’s one criticism the pundits can’t level at us anymore. With that in mind I do not think their momentum vs. ours stalling is going to get the players down, and I am sure there will be a response.

4 Likes

just seen the penalty incident up close and pogba actually trips over himself. shocking that the VAR didn’t overturn it. i thought it was a penalty at first viewing and in the replay… but fuck me… that is a terrible decision. scumbags.

6 Likes

United are flying. Not suffered with any injuries, get a penalty every game, all the luck in the world, setting records for consecutive away wins, everything is going their way. They’re second.

We’ve had more games missed by first team players than any other team in the league, been on the wrong end of more decisions than any other team, played really poorly with the exception of one or two games, haven’t been able to get any rhythm, playing youngsters and senior players out of position. We’re top.

16 Likes

Well, hopefully this is the good part for them, but no further. We want Ole to do well enough to give them hope… and that’s where they are right now. But obviously, not well enough to actually win anything big.

2 Likes

What we’ve seen from Ole is that he is a momentum manager. It’s how he got the job in the first place. He can help ride the crest of a wave, but he’s helpless when they hit a rough patch.

7 Likes

Its great they are being brought to such a lofty position. See when things go wrong, these players will be so egomaniacs who now think they are world class and they will fall so hard

As for us, if this does not motivate the lads to get their acts together, nothing will. This is the time to kick off that winning run.

3 Likes

Pogba stuck his left leg out behind the defender to force contact and then , as you say, tripped over his own feet. Clearly a “manufatured” pen that VAR should have over turned. Bet they would have had it been an LFC player.

7 Likes

I just saw the penalty too … what an absolute fucking joke of a decision.

I only watched the first half and thought Utd were pretty good against a decent Villa side. Some nice stuff from Fernandes and Pogba going forward and they seemed to have tightened up at the back since Bailly has come in for Lindelof. Luke Shaw is also very underated defensively. Ironically , their two big signings , Slabhead and Bissaka are probably their weakest links.

This is all set up very nicely now for when they come to Anfield on the 17th. (Assuming we win at Soton and they do at Burnley.)

I wouldn’t call it a ‘title decider’ but it will be a very important game psychologically , and one I expect us to win.

Be nice to get a new CB in before then.

1 Like

21 Likes

Which will most certainly happen. And Pochettino isn’t available anymore.

6 Likes

At last. At least that will stop the pundits bleating on about him waiting in the wings every time a top team is struggling.

6 Likes

Haven’t they had one so far this season then? If so, they appear to have come out of it.

1 Like

In fairness to Ole he has done a decent job there recently.

However 1 injury to Fernandes and they go from Champions League contenders to mid table wannabes over night

3 Likes