The Owners - FSG

And if he’s not injured or getting injured, he’s thinking about getting injured!

4 Likes

And yet, that is exactly what happened, mate. The club (or fsg, I don’t know) have clearly serious financial troubles.

6 Likes

I dont think they do, I just think they are risk averse. We are one of the only clubs who haven’t lumped loads of debt onto the club so far. It’s prudent and frustrating but considering fans probably dont come back into stadiums next season you can see why.

It won’t happen. fsg have decided that there is no more money available for transfers, at least until next summer, and that’s it. We have to come to terms with it, just as Klopp has had to.

4 Likes

What if it’s not about money not being made available but rather the recruitment analysts say they can’t find value for money right now?

How much are we, fans, willing to spend on a possibly unsuited CB? How much might tying up even more resources in a dead asset (to go along with Keïta, Ox, Origi, etc.) restrict our ability to refresh the squad moving forward?

6 Likes

They clearly don’t give a f*** about defending their league title then. Oh well…

1 Like

I would question that possibility. How many clubs are there out there that are in robust financial health with no cash concerns? Once you get outside the PL tv money bubble, there must be some clubs near collapse that would be willing to move players they would never otherwise contemplate moving.

The new foreign players regime post-Brexit might be having a subtle effect here. No more going to the Portuguese league to pick up a cheap CB who has yet to be capped.

7 Likes

I’m sure that there are players who have been identified by Klopp and Edwards as possible valuable reinforcements. It’s all about the money imo (or rather the lack of).

2 Likes

Come on Hope stop reading without context.

What Klopp said is he’s been told we aren’t signing a center back…

Where does it categorically say its because money isn’t available? What if the response from Edwards is, “really sorry Jürgen but player X or Y which you said are the players you want their club wont sell now, but we can set a deal up for the summer”…

It’s about context, everyone is jumping to conclusions and warping the same statement Klopp has been saying since he came here about transfers as it suits the thinking currently.

Everyone seems to be after someone to blame, a lot won’t blame Klopp, the players, the environment… So FSG get it… Don’t get why it’s simply as Mascott said a complete perfect storm of problems which has come to a head during this run of games… Origi scores that goal, we beat Burnley and the pitchforks are back in the shed…

6 Likes

Apparently, they have no choice but letting it go.

1 Like

Well, I haven’t stated anything else than that, have I? There is not enough money available for a good transfer move this winter, and nothing will happen on that front.

2 Likes

Of course we have financial worries. So does everyone.

Klopp isn’t blind to the fact that we could do with a Centre Back, but he isn’t blind to the fact that we are looking at another year without fans in the ground, and we might even be looking at having the season cancelled.

My reading of his quotes is that he’d like a centre back but he understands it isn’t possible.

2 Likes

Yup, that’s how I understand it as well. Klopp is still in a great situation when compared to his Dortmund days, when players were sold from under his nose every transfer window.

2 Likes

He said there’s no point sulking like a child over it. That’s the very definition of not being happy about a situation. You can accept that you’re in s situation and just got to get on with it and make the best of it (whilst subtly letting the details out in the press to try and put pressure on to change that situation) without being anything other than unhappy about it.

5 Likes

More than happy to accept that we don’t want to commit £50m-£60m on getting our long term summer CB target 6 months early but I don’t accept we can’t afford to spend say £10m on a six months loan for Militao (for example).

10 Likes

I understand the sentiment but I think that this is an exaggeration.

We simply don’t know enough to form an educated opinion. We don’t know the impact of the pandemic on the club’s finances, we don’t know when fans will be allowed back restoring matchday revenue, we don’t even know if the club’s identified target is available and at what price. Given the current situation, it’s hardly suprising that FSG are choosing to keep their powder dry, trust their world class manager to deliver a top 4 spot with what he has and re-assess in the summer. Every other major club including those with sugar daddies is following suit as there have been no noteworthy transfers to speak of.

As for Klopp, he does look down and it does affect the team but I seriously doubt that a new CB would somehow relieve all the pressure he’s under. It’s been a multitude of issues that have plagued the team going back the start of the season all of which have had a cumulutive effect. A new CB would certainly help make Klopp’s job easier but it wouldn’t solve everything that has gone wrong.

That’s not to say that I am not worried about Klopp’s mental state, because I am. This period is
visibly taking a toll on him and I am afraid that the unthinkable might happen and he departs before his contract is up. However, if he does go, it won’t be just because FSG didn’t buy him a new defender.

4 Likes

I don’t think anyone can be happy with our current situation. Injuries to key personnel, not one, not two but a few at the same time and long term ones. No revenue, thus uncertainties mean spending money is not a prudent move especially you do not even know when future money is coming. So no one is going to be happy about this, right from Klopp to Edwards to FSG. So Klopp is right to say, yes he is not happy, because all of us connected to the club, from the owners to us, will not be happy. But you can keep harping on the what ifs and fuck your own brains out thinking about them or you can knuckle down on thinking what you can do. That is the message I am getting from Klopp rather than the message that some of you are getting ‘yeah I want a player in and I am unhappy with the club and owners for not buying one’. He is unhappy, but now with the owners, but with the situation and conditions.

The club is in a no-win situation honestly. Spend money that is not there, we could end up in real financial trouble. Not spend money, then they will be accused of not getting behind the club.

If this is a normal season with revenue, I will be pissed off if the club does not invest with all the injuries but if you want to put things in perspective, the Premier League will still be there for us to win next season, the season after next but if we lose track of financial discipline especially if we are not a club with owners of indefinite riches, then we might not be in a long term position to win the league again and again in future. You can view it the other opposite but that is how I view it. We have all waited 30 years to win the league, I would have love to keep on winning but by now we should have known Klopp builds over a period of time and not go for short term “wins” and I would be willing to wait for next season to win again if necessary.

But, don’t get me wrong, there is not a moment I would believe that Klopp and the team had given up on the league even in the most challenging of situations. They still believe, I still believe.

3 Likes

It seems apparent FSG are easy targets when its a tough patch. When we were 5 points clear a few weeks ago there wasn’t any of this noise. For me Jurgen comments where a bit ill advised its not like we have been on shocking run since the injuries to Virgil and Joe.

6 Likes

Let’s park for one second the idea that there are loads of Centre Backs out there and it’s just a matter of John Henry getting the cheque book out (I don’t think it is).

In the summer they sanctioned signing Tsimikas, Thiago, and Jota for a total outlay of £75m, which is a hefty whack of money in a pandemic, but they pushed the vast majority of that into the next couple of years. They also sold Degsy and Hoever and probably got a bit in on loans and the like, so I think it was just about a cost neutral summer.

But when we signed those lads in the summer, the expectation was that fans would be back in the stadiums in October, and revenue would be back up for the start of 21/22.

But here we are at the start of 2021, and it’s worse than ever. There is no prospect of fans in the stadium this year, and it’s looking unlike we’ll have full stadiums in 21/22.

I think the club now regret sanctioning the summer outlay and punting it into the summer, because I think the money is not going to be there in the next couple of years to pay what we owe on Jota and Thiago.

So that’s where we are on a Centre Back. I think we can barely afford the outlay we’ve committed to, we’ve got all our best players coming up for contract renewals in the next couple of years, and severely impacted revenue to do it with.

And while it might be frustrating for Klopp, he is clever enough to know that this is a real problem.

4 Likes

At the same time though it would be foolish to take a chance on missing out on one of the few remaining income streams that are actually going to be there next season (CL).

Not risking £10m when we could miss out on £70m wouldn’t be prudent. It would be potentially a shrewd gamble if everyone else was similarly impacted but nobody else has had anywhere near the same level of problems, particularly when they are concentrated in such a specific area of our team.

I disagree with you on not saying we’re having a crisis. Our CB situation is precisely that.

13 Likes