The Owners - FSG

No ones asking for FSG out though, just asking them to back the manager?

" Aurelien Tchouameni says he rejected Liverpool and Jurgen Klopp because as soon as Real Madrid came calling he “didn’t hesitate”.

The French international Tchouameni was at the top of the Reds’ wanted list amid links with a move to both Anfield and Madrid. But Tchouameni, who had also been touted as a target for Manchester United, Paris Saint-Germain and Chelsea, has decided on a move to the European champions.

The star midfielder has moved to the Spanish capital for a fee in the region of £68million, including add-ons, but only after Reds’ boss Klopp made significant efforts to convince him of a switch to Merseyside. Klopp made a special trip to Monaco in order to convince the Frenchman to move to Anfield, while he also held a phone call with the midfielder."

2 Likes

Champions League Football GIF by UEFA

1 Like

don’t let that £80+ million fool you, they’re not backing the manager. Or that £54mil contract extension to Salah
 those don’t count!

1 Like

& this doesn’t include the summer just gone where again we spent net 10m.

So let’s back the man and bring in some fresh faces instead of playing every game with same 8/9 players we’ve been seeing for the last 5 years.

2 Likes

Mane. Minamino, Williams and the Grujic money paid for a lot of the fee.

If your happy with FSG spending you got to be content playing Europa league football next season.

I want whatever drugs you’re smoking, because that’s not the real numbers.

You’re also including in that graph above where we did some fleecing of Barcelona to the tune of Coutinho which greatly offsets our numbers. we’re averaging 90mil in purchases a season, but Mike Edwards managed to offset a lot of those numbers by some very astute sales. All those second string players you’ve forgotten about which we got £15-25mil for
 Second only to Chelsea in player sales.

1 Like

Steve Coogan Shrug GIF

What position does net spend play? It’s an almost totally useless metric. The only consideration should be whether the squad is better or worse than the previous season. In my opinion NĂșñez + Carvalho + Ramsay (+ Arthur) ((+ Kirkby + Anfield Rd. + Main Stand :speak_no_evil:)) > ManĂ© + Minamino + Williams.

1 Like

with the midfield an extra year older and the physical and emotional turmoil of last seasons chase.

if net spend cant be a metric (not sure why not to be honest) then surely just players in vs players out is even more base.

FWIW
and i wish i never put finger to type pad again now, surely
surely we cant be looking at our squad and thinking that bringing in Arthur was ‘just what the ageing midfield needed’

anyhoo
whatever, its done now
no point in getting sucked back into that particular vortex
pick it up in Jan.

also, as for the real madrid fella
what a shock that after joining madrid the footballer claimed it was ‘madrid or nothing’ or some such
great PR that, and should be taken absolutely litterally
i mean, i suppose he was just being polite by talking to Klopp.

4 Likes

I think bringing Arthur in was a last minute punt, after getting knocked back so late in the window for a potential longer term player, like Caicedo. We might go back to that one, although Potter at Chelsea, and him replacing Kante, might be the way that ends up. We will see.

Arthur is very low risk, and presumably we will refresh the engine room with a key signing or two by next summer (hopefully one in Jan and another in summer) while also giving our young midfielders plenty of opportunity to make their case.

So Utd are finishing first or second? Is that how it works?

Funnily enough, 12-13 years ago, spending wasn’t taken into account by the part of the fanbase that wanted Rafa out, although he had no backing by the pair of predatory leaches that brought the club to the brink of administration.

Nowadays, it’s used to bash the owners even though we spend consistently each summer. Could they allocate more funds? Of course, but at the same time you can’t claim with a straight face that they are not backing the manager.

I guess that’s how agendas work. They take into account only what furthers their purpose and ignore the rest.

5 Likes

The Arsenal/Liverpool model is that you spend big to create a competitive team, then when you are competitive you stabilise, only topping up where necessary and to bring through young blood, but the main focus should be re-signing existing performing players to longer term contracts to keep a stable, strong team.

The entire point is that these two teams shouldn’t need to spend £100-200m a summer. Only in the initial stages where the manager is trying to make the team competitive. Those big purchases should then dilute and average out over the next number of competitive years where big purchases are not necessary.

Arsenal for the last few years have been at the very beginning of that journey, needing to spend big to be competitive. We are at the opposite end of that scale.

We absolutely do not operate in the manner United, City and Chelsea do, where its just massive spending year after year after year. And I am happy about that.

2 Likes

If a team with the core made up of Alisson, Trent, Robertson, VVD, Fabinho, Thiago, Salah, Diaz, and Jota is only good enough for Europa League then the issue isn’t about FSG. Sometimes I wonder how people used to act when our team was made up of the likes of Paul Freaking Konchesky.

7 Likes

Just to add, I agree we got lucky with the Coutinho money. Barca lost the plot (still have), and the owners didn’t need to go into their pockets as much as they otherwise would have needed to. Would they have made those funds available without the Coutinho money? Probably, if Klopp asked for it.

I believe the owners will put money in when its needed. They haven’t provided any evidence to the contrary since they’ve been here.

2 Likes

“Leave my son out of this!”

So what you are saying is FSG should tell Klopp yeah I gonna back you and spend 100m on a couple of players regardless whether you want it or not because you know
i have to be seen on TAN to be backing you? I am serious, is it true that FSG is telling Klopp sorry we are not going to back you?

3 Likes

Obviously he has to watch what he says in the pressers but you’ve heard it from the horses mouth.

& yes the club needs to be seen by the fans it’s getting the right backing, which it hasn’t.

ARD? Is that you? Or maybe your long lost son?

2 Likes

Or else what? More tantrums on tinterweb?

It’s not as black and white as you make out - far from it.