The Owners - FSG

where does their money come from, how did they get it?

Oligarchs and Tyrants need not apply

Itā€™s hypothetical. Iā€™m talking about a private citizen. A wealthy one. Not a despot or a rogue government agent.

Letā€™s say they earned their money by owning some land, and it turned out there were proven oil reserves underneath, so they sold the land for a percentage of the profits of the reserves underneath.

Cha-Ching. They made many billions.

Itā€™s hypothetical. But Iā€™m trying to sift out to what degree it is acceptable to us, as Liverpool fans, to have a rich private citizen buy us, from a nation we generally do not approve of.

2 Likes

If it was the US I could 100% guarantee that someone here would link it to slavery, apparently there is no such thing as clean money when you get to the Billionaire money. 900m and you have a chance of being ok, but 1billion and you have some major skeletons in your closet.

1 Like

Thereā€™s probably not enough hypothetical information to give a blanket yes or no.

Made money legitimately, but what else has this person done with it? Do their other businesses employee migrant workers but under pay them and treat them like shit?

1 Like

I would assume it would have to be a consortium as there are not many billionaires in the middle east and most of them appear to have assets of around ā€˜justā€™ $2-3bn, otherwise they may just be frontmen like the Everton owner.

1 Like

Elon Musk took away free lunches from his Twitter employees, monster, disqualified. Yes, extreme example yet this is what happens when you get to a specific level of wealth.

Those cheap consumer goods that everyone is happy to buy are knocked up in sweatshop on minimal subsistence wages somewhere.

We could have paid a few pennies more for them to have a modestly decent wage but we all love a bargain when we donā€™t have to think about the consequences.

2 Likes

Certainly I would be against Musk for many reasons. Also Bezos based on the treatment of Amazon workers.

1 Like

Not everyone is happy to buy. Plenty of people try to buy ethically produced products as much as they are able to.

1 Like

I thought his factories were in China, not South America? :slight_smile:

Itā€™s a tricky one. I would imagine that any billionaire would have skeletons in the closet, or an aspect of their business that most in here would disapprove of. The common things that come to mind would be low cost labor, poor working conditions, moving money offshore to avoid taxes, etc.

Letā€™s imagine our potential new owner has his fair share of that sort of stuff, which we might call garden variety billionaire baggage.

They are a private citizen and not a government agent of a nation we disapprove of.

They have the money. They like their football.

To what degree would we accept such an owner?

Basically a latter day Jack Walker.

1 Like

Ultimately, given football is now absolutely a business, why shouldnā€™t an owner dump billions in to win everything?

Surely this horse has long since bolted.

2 Likes

What I said was, there was no difference in the trustworthiness of politicians across the board.
Thanks for your concern, but Iā€™m sure Iā€™ll be fine without anyoneā€™s help

2 Likes

I think most people would trust Keir Starmer more than they would trust a pathological liar like Boris Johnson.

7 Likes

I never said Boris was trustworthy.
But itā€™s like a choice between trusting a rattlesnake or a cobra not to bite you.
I dont trust any politicians, theyā€™re all full of promises during election campaigns, but rarely follow through with them when in power.
Obviously a good memory is required regarding broken labour promises

4 Likes

The classic gun sketch from The Thin Blue Line comes to mind here. Just substitute ā€œdo you want to own a gunā€ for ā€œwould you like to be an MPā€

1 Like

You know, I was almost certain there was a politics thread somewhere around hereā€¦

4 Likes

yeah, id be close, but im not so confident in myself to walk awayā€¦i mean, i cant help but watch this world cup.

also, i wouldnt walk away from football, just the toip leagues.

3 Likes

Fuck them both. This is the LFC owners thread and most of the hope that remains is that Klopp is still at the helm. All the highly paid heads of research are superfluous. We could get a Ā£10bn takeover and still be worse off if we lose Kloop

7 Likes