The Owners - FSG

I’m not sure, I think we’ve hit the tipping point where if we don’t spend the vast sums it now takes we won’t keep up.

1 Like

If this is the case (if) and it would necessitate what in essence would be financial doping, then I would rather the club no longer compete at the highest level.

Fortunately, we’re still a financial behemoth in the grand scheme of the football world, so I’m sure there is much still possible for us even within the bounds of “fair play”.

1 Like

Baseball has been interesting this week (something I didnt think I’d ever say). There is a luxury tax that is supposed to act as a soft wage cap that mitigates the effect of a club voluntarily exceeding it by distributing those tax payments to the other teams. It starts at 20% of the excess in the first year and rises to 50% by the third consecutive year of excess. This year the Mets, the lesser of the 2 NYC teams, have gone crazy with their spending and are now committed to paying more in luxury tax next season than half of the sides in MLB are paying in salary. Normally the other clubs just shrug and take their distribution. This year though there has been a lot of complaints about how destabilizing the extent of their over spending is.

Who owns the Mets? A hedge fund guy who was dinged with the biggest insider trading penalty of all time ($2 billion in combined penalties) and banned from managing outside money.

3 Likes

I think we can still balance a JB size purchase with a young player coming through or an under the radar signing, especially while we have JK and a good scouting system in place.

Gakpo January to impact spending?

"The money you spend impacts on the money you can spend (in future). Same for anyone. But we know what we want to do and see if we can do it. It’s about money of course but it’s more about how it always was - the right players. We are really, really happy we got Cody

“It’s about timing and getting players in at the right moment. He always made the next step. We believe in our process, when players especially offensive ones they all make a step forward because of the way we work and can help them”

Pearce saying we stretched to cover it but I don’t think we are.

I think Klopp is clear there, I think FSG know investment will be better if the club is competitive.

I expect we will see a CM arrive in this period and another in the summer.

To be honest though they will know where we are FSG will loan money if they know it’s being recouped soon enough. They are not cashless.

3 Likes

:bell::end:. is what James Pearce is.

3 Likes

Klopp on whether injuries to Jota and Diaz escalated a move for Gakpo.

"No, not at all. We decided to do something from the sports POV without having a green light from the financial side 2/3 months ago. In the end because we did it early, it might have been influenced.

I think what he meant was more that it was natural in the end since they already had a target identified. It’s one of those where all the pieces fall together. Probably would have happened regardless of the injuries, but perhaps the focus was placed on this one because of the injuries.

I don’t think we make transfer decisions on long-term contracts based on injuries that are a couple of months long.

I read it as being a little contradictory, but it doesn’t need to be. We were interested in the player for the long haul. Circumstances came together such that we made a move. Both/and.

To put it into perspective business of football writer at the Echo doesn’t understand how to compare businesses…

What we’ve come to expect from The Echo really isn’t it?

IMHO… The Echo has turned into one of the worst papers ever for local coverage

3 Likes

Neither do I, can you elaborate a bit?

It’s a typical Reach Group newspaper,absolute shit.

5 Likes

Comparing one year top line revenue numbers without acknowledging structural and cost differences isn’t helpful.

1 Like

It’s always a complete downer when you click on an Echo link by mistake. Your phone/ PC will typically crash under the weight of adverts and there’s no sodding story.

2 Likes

Too true. I made the mistake of clicking on Echo links in the past and utterly refuse to again.

2 Likes

@RedWhippet @wyld.at.hrt not sure if I’m preaching to the choir, but have you heard of Liverpool Gecko?

Take the URL of the article, replace “liverpoolecho” with “liverpoolgecko” and you’re sorted.

2 Likes

So true. If I have to (which is very rarely) read an Echo article, I do it on my laptop and I feel guilty for my laptop afterwards.

6 Likes