The Owners - FSG

Unless the negotiations are at such a point that the potential new owner has said that they would prefer to organise the new appointment themselves.

2 Likes

Possibly. We’re either being sold or we’re not. If it goes on for months / years, the price only goes one way.

1 Like

The value FSG have added to Liverpool is as a turn key operation operating at the pinnacle of the sport. Once that is no longer the category of investment it would lose lots of value. You can point to a scenario where a new owner would have their own guy in mind and so its being left vacant as part of that negotiation, but that is an almighty stretch based on a extremely unlikely scenario.

4 Likes

Interesting article from David Lynch. Now expect redalywas storming into this thread in a passionate defence of the owners, while explaining to us that Lynch has no clue and everything is perfectly fine at LFC…

5 Likes

all fluff, no substance. it’s an ed-op piece, nothing more.

5 Likes

Embarrassing but I suppose it’s less wages to pay out.

It wouldn’t, but what kind of candidate for Sporting Director would want to accept that role knowing that their boss is only temporary and the new boss is probably going to bring in their own hire? You’d want to ensure that your boss shares your vision as to how to run the club, and you can’t do that if you don’t know who that boss will be.

1 Like

That’s a completely separate issue to the one you raised before.

No it isn’t. It is the flip side of the same coin.

Admittedly, this is all speculative based on such a bizarre report regarding our search for a sporting director. But if it is indeed factual, I’m trying to connect the dots.

3 Likes

I know I’m in a severe minority here, but the Arthur signing at the time looked to me like a stop-gap to buy them a year until their target was available. They cannot announce their targets ahead of time, and they have four contracts running out in 2023. I’m guessing a rebuild has been in the works for a year, and this season is a bridge to the next. the injuries to Arthur and Naby were a dagger to the heart of our season, and the fall from grace of Fab and Hendo are a bit of a shock from the 2021/22 season successes where we were in FOUR cup finals.

you’d simply not expect, this huge drop is form in 8 months from last season to this one, just from losing Sadio Mane. He’s the only key player who left, and was replaced by a very similar player in Luis Diaz who was electric. and Darwin Nunez who was highly touted.

Am scratching my head on the Gakpo signing still, but I think it’s a contingency plan for maybe another two years of Firmino who would depart at 33

Hell, maybe Bobby would be that #10 we’d be looking for in a double-pivot 4-2-3-1?

2 Likes

I don’t think the lack of a sporting director will inhibit the value of the club, which is primarily derived from its history, its brand, its players, and its manager.

Yes but redalywas wouldn’t be able to come storming into this thread in a passionate defence of the owners otherwise!

These are quite clearly not the “flip side of the same coin”.

The first point is from the view of FSG selling up and implies they have concerns about events at the club once they do sell.

The second from the point of potential applicants who may view the lack of visibility for the role as a blocker to applying for it.

FSG are more likely to have concerns around the latter than the former in as much as it impacts their ability to run the club properly or sell it on as a turn key operation.

If one of the key hires is not in place it is not turn key and I dont think we can reasonably downplay the importance of the hire given the fawning praise for Edwards and teeth gnashing at his and then Ward’s exit.

If one of the key hires goes unfilled because we don’t want to make decisions the next owners will have to live with then we are letting an area of the organization fall into disrepair and hurting the valuation in turn. Unless we argue the position isn’t important, but see above and then it isnt important or worthy of discussion.

2 Likes

FSG won’t expend time trying to find candidates for sporting director if they know that they’re going to sell the club and they know that quality candidates will not be interested in taking the job without assurances as to who they will be reporting to. Can you not see how these issues could be connected?

Does that stand for In Search of new Owners before the year 20121?

The notion of a “turn-key operation” is wonderful in theory. But in reality, it is virtually guaranteed that any any new owner is likely going to want to appoint their own executive team, and in turn, that executive team will want a sporting director that matches their vision. An owner will want to surround themselves with their people, not with people loyal to the previous owners who had their own vision of what makes an operation successful.

No one is buying this club because Julian Ward was the sporting director. On the list of things that drives the value of this club to the potential owner, whomever is currently in the role of sporting director is well down the list.

That is not to say that the role is not important to the success of a club; it just isn’t what will drive its valuation to a potential buyer. If Julian Ward was the SD of, say, Bolton, it would not skyrocket the value of the club - especially by comparison to all of the other things that make this Liverpool club special.

I think the fact that (allegedly) they have not moved to appoint a replacement for Ward, despite being aware 3 months ago of his pending departure, is indicative of the fact that they do not think its essential to a potential buyer.

I dont think you are characterizing what I am saying fairly, maybe because Im not explaining it well enough, but ultimately the crux of the issue is you are seemingly taking the below reporting as credible while talking to two people who think it is almost certainly utter bollocks.

They aren’t flipsides. It is also not the scenario I first replied to.

FSG gave made themselves such an easy target these days that it almost seems overkill to have a go at them. Almost.