The Owners - FSG

This goes beyond idle speculation about Bellingham. Giving Schmadtke a three month contract can only be to tide us over for the summer.

3 Likes

and then a new guy continues the negotiations for Jan transfers in September? :thinking:

He can re-sign milner from Brighton in January

Six months.

4 Likes

Unfortunately, it seems Brighton are intent on signing Milner as a back-up and help steer his career change into coaching.

Why is there so much foot stamping going on here?

I donā€™t know very much about Schmadtke but he is very clearly a stopgap. If your target isnā€™t available until after the summer, you donā€™t tear up your plans and go for someone else instead. Itā€™s too important a position for that.

I canā€™t see any downside to this. Clearly we canā€™t go into the summer without someone looking after the contracts and negotiations. But not do we abandon our main target on that basis.

2 Likes

Alright, you have a source even though it is from Daily Mail on Sunday. Thanks for correcting me!

A solution that doesnt preclude the absurd scenario you presented. A permanent person is no less likely to come in and shit all over the progress ward had made in an existing negotiation than a temporary person is. Because neither of them are likely to do anything like that sort of thing.

1 Like

Personally I think itā€™s a very weird appointment. Clearly the need was identified. What specifically is that need I wonder?

Just the first I could find on Google. I recalled the furor on TIA over the absurdity of waiting for them instead of moving on to other choices, and how the club needed to move faster, there was no time for patience.

Apparently there was quite a stink at Blue Moon too, Citeh fans thinking there must be some way to make sure they could never join LFC, calls for punishing them, etc.

2 Likes

You know when someone has a certain reputation and then you talk to people who had to deal with that person in real life and it more than reinforces everything you had heard about said person? Itā€™s one of those things.
Not sure heā€™s the level I had hoped for on a purely sports perspective either. He does have experience though, sure.

3 Likes

Someone at the tip of the spear when it comes to dealing with other clubs. The one thing other than simple lack of funds most like to sink a deal is an unclear path of communication. This tells every club who it is they need to talk to if a deal is going to be negotiated. And just as important for us, is it streamlines our communication so we dont confusion on what different people are alleged to have said.

1 Like

What confuses me is the certainty some have that there are World Class Sporting Directors and Chief Scouts growing on trees out there.

These are really hard appointments, and when you know the one you want, you donā€™t change tack because you are obliged to wait a bit.

1 Like

Yes, a new permanent man may just shit all over the progress but there is a huge disincentive for the new permanent man to shit over that entire progress and fuck over the entire club in the mid to long term(>3months to years) just because he has a different view to things. Maybe it has something to do with year end appraisals and performance bonuses?

But getting a stop-gap for 3 months who will no doubt be paid handsomely for his consultative work due to urgent needs and not be held anything remotely responsible upon 1st Sept 2023 seems a bit short-sighted in planning.

1 Like

No, I agree. Cologne-Liverpool has me a little nervous about our bridge appointment, but this is a critical role - particularly at this time. The permanent appointee is a near-certainty to define our replacement for Klopp.

1 Like

It sounds like a Arthur Melo type of deal all over again.

Depends. If it were a club that is in C/L, then they might want to protect their work for the upcoming transfer window so would want to stop anyone that has scouting/transfer knowledge from joining anyone else until after the window closes, or at lest late enough in the window that it would be too late to affect their plans.

FSG got notice of Ward leaving in Nov 2022, so it is about 6 months worth of waiting and faffing about till now. If FSG knew deep down they ainā€™t gonna sell the club, why the wait to approach a Sporting Director up till now?

According to the article that Arminius posted, the gardening leave of Dave Fallows is 6 months, right? That should be the benchmark for employees leaving for domestic rivals, right? If that is the benchmark, assuming FSG approaches a guy they want for the post of sporting director in December 2022 ( and that guy accepts FSGā€™s offers and terms and tenders his notice immediately) ,by now, we should be hearing a permanent guy, not a stop-gap of 3 months?

It just doesnā€™t make sense. Please help me make sense of this entire proceedings, there must be something that is wrong? Is it that the gardening leave of the incoming guy be one full season instead of half a season?

1 Like

please read my reply to mascotā€¦

It isnā€™t a benchmark, it is a matter of the particular contracts. Fallows had six months left on his contract, City chose to require him to take paid leave until the end of that contract. We donā€™t know who the preferred candidate is, we have no idea about his contractual status.

1 Like