The Owners - FSG

I get it if our lowly position reflected standing still and not bringing in players. I even get it to a degree if fans think we’ve done too little and point to it as evidence that there should have been room to bring in more players (ignoring that we might not have wanted for non-financial reasons). What seems bizarre is people reacting negatively to landing good players at attractive fees when other teams are over paying for players.

4 Likes

So you’d be happy to sell Salah Virgil Alisson Jota and Nunez and resign Benteke Mignolet Sakho Origi & Minamino?

Because that’s how you end up bottom of the net spend table.

We are 9th. Have we sold these players? You do know keeping net spend low is not just how you sell, but also how you buy right? And we have bought well and smart, that is how we kept our net spend low and win what we have won.

2 Likes

Can you please stop lowering conversations to the level of farce?

4 Likes

So, by your logic if we’d paid twice as much for the players we’ve bought since 2018 and found ourselves up that net spend table, that would be much better ownership from FSG?

You see how these net spend fetish arguments are bullshit? It’s literally criticising the club for being very good at buying and selling players.

1 Like

Mac Allister was £35m. I wish we had paid the £70-80m he should have cost in this market, then we’d be higher up the net spend table and I wouldn’t get bantered on Twitter.

Fucks sake.

5 Likes

Yes. Sorry.

Twice as much?

We sat back and watched as Fulham signed Palhinha for 20m, Leeds signed Adams for 20m, PSG signed Soler for 20m, Wolves sign Nunes for 40m…1 of those shouldn’t have been much to ask for.

But this is the problem, we can’t pay these kind of figures, as has been proven numerous times…so “wishing” for it to happen to prove a point makes no sense.

We literally spent this on a forward last summer. :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Yeah, because we were happy for our entire budget to go on a forward & we already had the money in from the sales of Mane Taki & Neco. (or at least on our way to recouping it)

There’s a Mark Twain quote I’d bring up at this point. But I think I’m just going to back away from the thread.

There are two arguments here.

The first is whether we should have brought in a midfielder last year, and the answer to that is probably yes. Although Klopp came round to that idea very late in the day, which might be the problem.

The second is whether using net spend as signifier of under investment is sensible, and it’s obviously not. It fails to take into account that Liverpool are usually very good and finding value in the market, and then selling and good fees.

I can’t think of many where we have overpaid, with the notable exception of Nunez (ironically a player in the price range you seem to think we should be aspiring to) and the jury is still out on him. Ox and Keita were big purchases that were wrecked by injury. But aside from that there is a huge number of players that look like daylight robbery for the fees we paid - Robbo, Gomez, Matip, Trent, Gini, Thiago, Mane, Salah, Firmino etc.

1 Like

What if, and you might have to sit down for this, we simply didnt think any of those “cheap” players were good enough?

Oh My God Wow GIF by reactionseditor

4 Likes

It’s infuriating, isn’t it.

We’ve got a left back at the club who has legitimately been in the conversation for the very best in world over the last few years. We got him for £8m from a relegated side, because we saw his value when nobody else did. The lad on the other side was an academy product who is described as a generation talent.

That’s your two starting full back, possibly the best pair in the world and we got the pair of them in a swap for Kev Stewart.

There are Liverpool fans who seriously believe this kind of approach to the squad is a black mark on FSG.

Personally, I think the wheels came of for us recruitment wise, when we stopped looking for these kinds of deals.

1 Like

A good one this .

Not much point having a go at the owners yet wait until the window closes and if we not been upgraded sufficiently then let them have it.
They been great for the club in the past but thingz need to change now.

A big what if, borderline arrogance if that was the case.

Did you use a random name generator to pick those names because those are not the names I’d imagine even the most critical fans would identify as ones we’ve missed out on. The most common response to the Nunes rumours were “why the fuck were we ever interested in him? He doesnt actually do anything?”

1 Like

Not even sure how a random name generator would even work and I don’t care to know ….maybe I just happen to follow football and the news that follows with it?

I get some feel the need to back up every decision the club makes, even ones that make no sense or clearly are out of desperation (Melo), sorry but nobody had any impression he was signed to do anything of note.

Palhinha and Adams could’ve played the exact same seasons they did at their clubs for us last season and everyone would be here now saying what fantastic, astute buys they were etc, but because they were missed opportunities we turn a blind eye and say “oh well they never would’ve done any good for us anyway, there’s a reason they ended up at clubs such as Fulham, Leeds etc”

Do some people perceive “missed opportunities” as players who can transform a club on their own into ambitions they set out on? I.e was Jude a missed opportunity? No matter how small or big a job either the 2 mentioned above could’ve done, it would’ve helped give us a better chance than what we gave ourself.

1 Like

We do this summer though :wink:

We’ve let Declan Rice sign for Man City and Arsenal. Great singing for both clubs, he’ll really strengthen their midfields.

2 Likes