The Owners - FSG

I get that but I would be repeating my opinion again, so I will just leave it at that.

If in the end, we really buy Haaland or Mbappe, I will be happy like any other fan. But for the discussion, nope for me for reasons I stated. So nothing more to add for now.

1 Like

We paid in the 30-40m pound range for Salah, Mané, Jota and Fabinho. What Robertson has become has been unbelievable for that price. I challenge you to find another 4m signing that has gone on to do what he does. While what you are saying about players being out there to be discovered is true, players will come through but there is absolutely no guarantee that selling Bobby for 75m and buying someone for 30m will be good business. We might have money in the bank, but far less on the pitch.

I honestly can’t believe that you don’t see getting in Haaland or MbappĂ© in Bobby’s place for a net spend of 25m as good value. I reckon Klopp himself would be dancing and going ‘BOOOOOOOM’ to random passers by if that were to happen.

5 Likes

As I said, as a fan, I would too. There is a fundamental difference of failing and succeeding at 30m and at 100m. And since nothing is guaranteed, which is better? Again, I am not against us buying replacements. If it is Haaland or Mbappe, great! But I cannot understand, with all the club has done in the last few years, why are we so fixated with these 2 players? I would have a greater BOOM in fact if we unearth another Jota or Mane or Salah at 40M
which is 60M lesser than 100M
and that is alot of value

1 Like

The fact that a player with a proven track record over several seasons and at international competitions is being referred to as a flavour of the month and sniffed at in favour of a player like Jota (who I like) who so far has less than half a season of impressive play (although I obviously hope it extends to more) hurts the logic centres of my brain!

2 Likes

Difference is Jota has performed in half a season actually in our team
while the others have not. And that is half a season more than actual results for us than Mbappe and Haaland has for us.

1 Like

I’m confident that we aren’t signing either of Haaland or MbappĂ©. Yes, our forward line need refreshing and that might involve letting one of the stalwarts go.

Considering Salah, Mane and Firmino have two years left in their contracts, we might decide to cash in on one of them this summer. But, not before selling deadwood like Origi etc.

I do feel that we will sign a new attacker, more in the mould of a #9, but it will be someone low key.

1 Like

The Salah and Mane fees were fairly high for the time when we bought them until PSG fucked the transfer market forever.

4 Likes

This would be like an argument in 2009 over whether a ÂŁ45m deal for 22 year old wonderkid Messi would be better than a ÂŁ19m deal for Roque Santa Cruz type deals. Santa Cruz being Prem proven and less of a risk than Messi only proven in one league.

4 Likes

Smidge too much crazy on here for me!

Our strikers are brilliant. In order of value it goes Salah, Mane, Firmino. They are all a certain age, pushing 30. Possible decline already evident in Firmino.

The best two young strikers in world football right now are Mbappe and Haaland. Both score lots of goals right now, and both have many years to continue to do so, and even improve.

If we were able to sign either one (likely not anyway) but to do so meant we had to give up a current striker, then most if not all reds would say thanks Bobby, we wish you well in the rest of your career.

But if Bobby didn’t generate enough cash (he wouldn’t) and we had to sell a different striker instead, Mane is next up. And if Mane didn’t generate enough cash, and we had to sell a different striker instead, would we go as high up our current striker food chain, to the very top, and sell Mo Salah in order to bring in Mbappe or Haaland?

My answer? Yes I would.

Mbappe the dream. But let’s forget about him and consider Haaland, on the assumption Mbappe is out of reach but Haaland might be doable. I would still allow Salah to leave if it meant that was what we needed to do in order to sign Haaland. I think Haaland will score just as many, if not more goals than Mo and he would give Prem defenses a different problem. At the moment we get bullied a bit too much, and don’t get anything from the refs. Haaland would, I suspect, give as good as he gets, given his stature. This would enable Mane, Jota and Firmino to have a little more space too. Haaland also has 10+ years left on the clock.

Still, I respect pushback and debate over whether a person would let Mo Salah go in order to bring Haaland in. Mo is a fine player and a reliable goalscorer. So is Haaland. But with many more years to come.

2 Likes

Actually think my chain goes Firmino, Mane, Firmino+Mane. I think those two together going off the books leads to us being able to bring Mbappe in. Haaland I don’t see moving till next summer when his clause kicks in.

Then we have plenty of other surplus players who could go, even for devalued prices, that would create the ability to bring someone else in. A “Jota style” purchase to join Mbappe, Salah, Jota and Elliott.

Wondering if the new budget thing may encourage some investment from FSG/Red Bird direct into LFC?

" Budget 2021: “Super deduction” to encourage business investment

Sunak announces that he wants to encourage businesses to invest, as this will fuel the UK’s economic recovery.

To do this, he unveils the “super deduction ”.

This scheme will run for the next two years and mean that, when companies invest, they will be able to claim 130% of this investment back from their tax bill.

Sunak seems to be referring to capital allowances here, as he then discusses the example of a construction company buying ÂŁ10m worth of construction equipment.

Under the current rules, this company would be able to reduce their taxable income in the year they invest by ÂŁ2.6m.

With the super deduction, they can reduce it by ÂŁ13m.

Sunak states that the super deduction will be worth £25bn for the two years it’s in operation, and is therefore the biggest business tax cut in modern British history."

You can claim back ÂŁ13m on a ÂŁ10m investment?

Is that right? How can that be right?

ÂŁ13m less off the tax bill by paying ÂŁ10m investment into the business.

Yeah, look looked it up. Of course I fully understand this.

Chewing Gum Reaction GIF

2 Likes

To be honest it’s probably not as good as it sounds because I’m not sure what tax bills people would actually be facing with their businesses this year. Maybe some of the posters who know what the fuck they’re talking about (not me obviously) could weigh in on the matter?

1 Like

I officially won the Matip locker door at this auction. My youngest son will have a nice conversation piece for his mancave back home.

But unfortunately I was outbid for the map of UK that once hung in The Boss’s office. I really wanted that for my own office.

4 Likes

Imagine considering selling any of our front 3 before getting rid of the likes of Origi first instead.

1 Like

Imagine thinking anyone plans on keeping the likes of Origi. However those players won’t recoup anywhere near the funding and wages of one of the front 3. Also this isn’t a computer game you don’t sell players in priority order. You sell them as the deals are able to be completed. A Firmino sale happening before an Origi sals would not show Firmino was wanted less than Origi.

1 Like

You don’t pay tax on 13 million. It’s straight forward.

Normally in aus we claim a tax deduction for purchasing an asset over 4 years

They have upped it to the full write off in one year

My accountant not a huge fan, back ending some taxation headaches.

Problem with this is there’ll be a rush to buy heaps more Chinese shite

If your governments going to let you write off 100% ( let alone 130%) they should at least ensure it’s stimulating the correct economy.

Not saying it won’t help, but it feels it a bit like welfare for business, should at least be making it for products made in aus.

3 Likes

We should be adding to our front 3. Not replacing them. If Firmino had a competent back up instead of Origi he wouldn’t have been run into the ground the last 4 years. What’s the point of replacing one of our front 3 just cos we can get more for them when the back up is still incompetent. If we sold Origi and one or two other dead woods and signed a cheapish striker good enough to displace Firmino it’s a win win situation in my books.

1 Like