The Owners - FSG

You mean the article about how Manchester hates Liverpool and the line about how it needs to change?

1 Like

Sorry I believe it says they both hate eachother equally and is 5 years old written but Stuart Brennan who is a City stooge. Using Brennan to further your point haha, how can you not feel dirty.

Anyway I really donā€™t have the energy for another circular argument with you, so wonā€™t respond further.

1 Like

I grew up on the Wirral, lived through lots of Tory hostility to the area, watched my dad unemployed for a long time, just no work. This was all through Thatchers time. My two brothers were at Hillsborough, one in the Leppings Lane end. Pre mobile phone, spent too long waiting to hear they were OK. They saw stuff no one should ever see.

Went away to Uni, lived in different parts of the UK. My own anecdotal experience is that there is a bias against Liverpool, in other parts of the country. Iā€™ve never so much as had a parking ticket, never been in any trouble in my life, would do anything to help someone, give money to charities, etc. But people do seem to think itā€™s fair game to have a go at scousers and the City. Itā€™s weird.

Not racist, of course, but definitely prejudiced. A government was quite happy to let the city go to the dogs, and the trickle down effect of that down the years is tangible.

To what degree that is manifest in refereeing decisions and so on is difficult to establish in any definitive sense, but it seems pretty clear to me that we canā€™t catch a break. Itā€™s why we do so well in Europe. The refs there seem to referee the match in front of them, rather than bring their prejudice to the game too.

These days I live in the States. Have been here 12 yrs now. People from Liverpool are renowned as being knowledgeable fans, quick witted, sometimes biting with that, but overall with a sense of fair play and warmth. Good people.

Football is tribal, and there are wrong ā€˜uns attached to all clubs. We have some of that too. But I want to add my tuppence worth, as someone originally from the area, who lived around the country for 20 yrs before moving overseas. I have never heard fans of other clubs besmirched around the country in the general way that Liverpool fans, and the people in general, are.

Itā€™s not on, and people need to move on, but they wonā€™t. Itā€™s why, I suspect, a lot of Liverpool fans would laugh their tits off if the Prem was weakened and elite European football was strengthened in the move to some sort of European Super League.

As for fans farther afield, I love it. Liverpool FC is a big family, and we should be because the success and stories in and around the club have captured hearts all over the world. Whoever loves LFC is welcome to be part of the family. Bring it on!

11 Likes

I completely agree with this.

I think the original (and in my opinion 100% fair but misunderstood) comments were about more than just the sport and the emotional attachment to the club.

Two passionate, die hard, committed LFC fans, one in the city one in the far East. The results hurt and exhilarate both. Both scream with passion both know every little fact about us itā€™s fucking beautiful. So few clubs are able to attain that level.

But then it goes further which makes it even more unique, thereā€™s an emotional attachment the likes sports very rarely if ever see. That shit can bring tears of joy or sorrow to a heartless eye. We are borderline unique and you can see and hear it when fans abroad get to stand and bellow out youā€™ll never walk alone.

All thatā€™s amazing.

However, the local fan has friends and family if not themselves whose financial security are tied up in the city doing well. A huge influence on the city doing well is LFC and EFC doing well, competing in Europe, bringing glory, visitors and finances into the city. Its a huge boon. Unfortunately we have to do all the leg work as EFC keep letting down their side of things.

In that respect the successes of Liverpool canā€™t mean the same to both fans. In all other respects itā€™s beautiful that so much else does and I hope people from around the globe appreciate how special their commitment makes our club.

3 Likes
1 Like

I have looked at this again and also asked a friend who used to work in admin at the club. He says the figure that was generally quoted at the time relates only to the Liverpool city area. I have an L postcode but live in Sefton and you can live in Knowsley or Wirral or even in West Lancashire (Ormskirk etc) and still have an L postcode. I understand that those with addresses outside the Liverpool City Council area were not included in the ballot.

3 Likes

So youā€™re a proper posh wool then from Sefton? Or you Bootle based? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thatā€™s exactly my experience and my view.

Ok it was probably an over-statement to say ā€˜all of Manchesterā€™ and I retract that. Iā€™ve lived in Manchester, have many Manchester born friends, who are decent and reasonable about Liverpool, at least to my face anyway.

I have travelled the world over, I like people because of what they are, not where they are from.

But I have encountered considerable hostility towards Liverpool over the decades, around this country (North, South, East and West). Itā€™s also very clear in the media, examples of which Iā€™ve given before. The hostility towards Liverpool is rife in Manchester, although not ā€˜all of Manchesterā€™.

Interestingly, as where I from is not immediately evident from my accent, Iā€™ve overheard things, and had things said to me, that give away peopleā€™s attitude to the city without it being personal to me.

Ultimately, my view of LFC is that it is more than a football club. It is a cause, a religion of its own, a community, a nation, a family.

Everybody who identifies what what LFC is can support the club as they choose. All are welcome.

All I have ever said is that those who are local to the club, who have lived through this hostility (including over Hillsborough), and who are affected directly and indirectly by how well the city does economically, have a right to call out the attitudes around this country towards the city, and have a right to ask questions of the owners, if the actions of owners cause issues - like the club not qualifying for Europe - that affect the city economically.

And they (we) have the right to do so without being called for it.

As for one comment above, there is absolutely no way that the prejudice against Liverpool is purely political. All the people who are prejudiced do not vote Tory, and all those who sing songs about dustbins at Anfield arenā€™t either.

The prejudice varies, from merely looking down upon, to downright hatred, and in manifests itself from mere mocking and talking down to, to more serious actions.

7 Likes

Bootle born and bred like Carra but like him, moved a few miles further north. :wink:

2 Likes

News Flash, via The Boston Globe (owned by FSG):

5 Likes

I thought he became a shareholder long ago.

According to the article, LeBron is making an additional undisclosed investment in FSG, and RedBird Capital Partners are investing $750 million, says the overall deal will make FSG one of the richest overall sports holding companies in the world, just behind Kroenke (owners of Arsenal, LA Rams of the NFL, Denver Nuggets of the NBA, Colorado Avalanche in NHL, etc).

ā€œOn FSGā€™s shopping wish list are NFL and NBA franchises, another European soccer club, NHL, MLS, WNBA, and NWSL teams, plus sports betting, esports, and data analytics companies.

The RedBird cash infusion will give the New York-based firm an 11 percent stake of FSG, which will have an enterprise value of approximately $7.35 billion. FSG will have $600 million-$700 million in debt, with more than $600 million cash going out to existing partners.

FSG principal owner John Henry (who also owns the Boston Globe) will retain control of the Boston-based sports conglomerate, with governance remaining unchanged among FSG chairman Tom Werner and FSG president Michael Gordon. Wernerā€™s FSG stake remains second-largest, while Gordonā€™s shares will drop to fourth.ā€œ

2 Likes

ā€¦so is RedBird buying stocks from the existing shareholders???

That would appear to be the implication from the article. :thinking:

1 Like

The way the article is written seems a bit unclear.

Either way, FSG is getting significantly bigger, and it sounds like the idea of building a ā€œRed Bullā€ style system of clubs is not dead yet, after the earlier Red Ball deal fell through.

1 Like
1 Like

Lebron is tall strong and jumps real highā€¦our next CB?

Celebrate Lebron James GIF by ESPN

5 Likes

He also gets regularly rewarded for flopping, i.e. diving so maybe play him upfront as well?

2 Likes

That thing he puts into his mouthā€¦ Arenā€™t ya supposed to flush them :0)

2 Likes

5 Likes