The R.I.P. thread

1 Like
4 Likes
7 Likes

Celtic Manager/Legend Tommy Burns on Andy Goramā€¦

Shattered Tommy Burns last night groaned: ā€œPut it on my tombstone - Andy Goram broke my heart.ā€

The gaffer was gob-smacked as super stopper Goram denied his title chasing Celts with a string of wonder saves.

He locked out superb efforts from Andreas Thom and Phil Oā€™Donnell as the live TV derby at Parkhead ended goal-less.

Burns sighed: "When I pass away you can put it on my tombstone `Goram broke my heartā€™.

"Iā€™ve nothing but admiration for someone like that - but I have a contract out on him, right enough.

ā€œHEā€™S PROBABLY THE BEST GOALKEEPER Iā€™VE EVER SEEN.ā€

Goram was also nicknamed after the position he played in, for me that is the highest accolade as he made it his own

RIP to man who was known simply, as the ā€˜goalieā€™.

6 Likes

Scottish goalkeepers were a bit of a running joke in the 70s and 80s but Andy Goram single-handedly put an end to that.

He was an outstanding goalie; may he rest in peace.

8 Likes

A great actor - and I have to admit to being afraid of characters he played, such was his method. Rest in peace.

6 Likes

What a magnificent actor Caan was. I was such a scary character in some of his films. I mostly remember as Sonny Corleone and Paul Sheldon in Misery. Also, liked his character in ā€™ Garden of Stone.

RIP James Caan.

3 Likes

Wasnā€™t my favourite Dragon, but sad to hear of his passing.

NHK have just announced Former Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe has died, after being shot while campaigning.

4 Likes

Yeah RIP Shizo. Such a shocking death for Japan. A stalwart of Japanese politics - even if his domestic achievements were fairly modest; judged against some of the pygmies he shared the global stage with, he was a giant of a statesman.

2 Likes

Weird story, but apparently James Caan was a family friend of an ex of mine and taught her to play the paino. Might have to watch Misery tonight in honour of him.

1 Like

As usual, Malcolm Turnbull does a better job than I: putting Shinzoā€™s legacy in context

3 Likes

Im struggling to understand the furore around the identification of him as a Japanese Nationalist. That seemed to be a pretty uncontroversial way to describe his politics when he was alive/PM, but Iā€™m seeing a ton of really intense criticism of that framing today.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve seen Noah Smith, an economist who wrote a piece on Abe attacked by people on twitter who were being critical of Abe because of his stance when leader on comfort women. They may also have been critical of his nationalist stance too (I didnā€™t read all of their criticisms they didnt express them but were too busy slagging off Noah).

I wonder if the criticism you are referring to is perhaps because some of the framing is taking it out of the context of the wider Japanese political sphere?

NPR are being ratioed for referring to him in their headline as an ultranationalist. I read the context as that being possibly related to why someone would want to assassinate him. Irresponsible speculation maybe, but that doesnt seem to the context of the criticism. And that now seems to have spread across twitter to any mention of his nationalist leanings.

1 Like

this is such an incredibly sad story. A father grieving for his three childrenā€™s involuntary manslaughter by a drunk driver is not looked after by his nationā€™s justice system, their killer is already out of jail and heā€™s now committed suicide.

This is another huge wake-up call on a highly-repeatable issue of mental health following severe trauma, and how our countryā€™s public health system (for all itā€™s wonder of being nationalized) has again truly failed when it comes to the support system.

4 Likes

Tony Sirico aged 79yrs young
ā€˜Paulie Walnutsā€™ from the Sopranosā€¦

RIP

3 Likes

he was also the new dog in family guy when brian was killed off for a bit. vinny.

2 Likes

R I P John Gwynne <3 distinctive british sports commentator.

2 Likes