The R.I.P. thread

That’s sad. He always used to wind me up as a commentator with his stream of factoids but he was one of those links back to proper football before it became a billionaires plaything. RIP.

6 Likes

Yup, when football wasn’t the disgusting shit show it is now.
RIP

5 Likes

Very fitting tributes to him on the radio now. Laughed when I heard a fellow commentator say he once advised at least 2 good glasses at lunch before doing the Saturday match. Sad he’s gone but he leaves a hell of a lot of happy memories and that voice.

5 Likes

You do realise that you’re posting on a football forum, don’t you?

They dont make them like him and Barry Davies any more!

2 Likes

The days when the commentators and pundits knew their standing without wanting to be star attraction
RIP Motty

3 Likes

Yes, and I commented on football.
Your point?

My point, obviously, is that if you think it’s a disgusting shitshow, why take an interest?

My interest is Liverpool, football in general is a shitshow, continually being ruined by grotesque amounts of money.
Should I stop having an interest in Liverpool, or refrain from commenting when a former commentator dies?

2 Likes

That’s one feels like part of your childhood has died too. Farewell Motty :disappointed_relieved:

5 Likes

I remember being OK with his ‘factoids’. At least they were interesting and not just endless stats like those churned out in today’s broadcasts. Motty, Barry Davies and Gerald Sinstadt were the soundtrack to my early football viewing. :+1::nerd_face:

3 Likes

I seem to remember he was invited on, I think, Question of Sport as a guest with the producers thinking that he would have some interesting stories. He did, but he knew literally every answer in the quiz.

He must have been brilliant to have on your pub quiz team.

4 Likes

Sad news. RIP.

1 Like

Sad news, he was one of the best at his craft. Even in his latter days I don’t think he ever lost his charm and there was something about his voice that just added to the spectacle.

1 Like

As anyone noticed…we seem to have to visit this thread more often…over the past few weeks…:scream::scream::scream:

we’re not getting any younger

one of my co-workers died of cancer yesterday. A fellow red and was only 53 when he passed. leaves a wife and two kids. so sad, shouldn’t happen to nice guys like him.

6 Likes

True…

I liked that he was authentic. I never felt his preprepared stuff got in the way of describing how the game was onfolding. We get most of our stuff in the US now through Peter Drury and he is unbearable. It’s like he thinks the game exists as a vehicle for his soliloquies

2 Likes

Yep. Peter Drury is painful to listen to.

1 Like

Apologies if you think this is disrespectful, but I’m with George on this.

3 Likes