The R.I.P. thread

Oh, very sad news. Always enjoyed him as both Lily and Paul.

3 Likes

Very sad to hear of POG’s passing. He was an artiste and person I could relate to. I always found him entertaining and funny. As others have said his interviewing style was excellent. His interest in his interviewees was always sincere and bordered on ‘nosey’ (a typical scouser). To me he felt like one of the family. I don’t mean this in a flippant way when I say that I’d liken him more to one of my Sisters than Brothers. Someone you could sit and have a gab with.

RIP Paul :heart:

2 Likes

Had two heart attacks years ago and both his parents had heart problems :broken_heart: :pensive: RIP.

1 Like

Exactly! This is how i felt. He is one of those people, you can sit and chat for ages with a cup.of tea or a pint of Lager in the pub.

1 Like

I remember him telling a story once on the radio… He said a guy he knew used to drive a double decker bus for a living, and for a bit of overtime money on a Sunday afternoon the bus company laid on a special excursion for all the old dears to go to the Bingo hall which was about 12miles away. Anyway, this meant the bus going onto a dual carriageway with a speed limit of 60mph… So this driver guy , obviously situated at the front of the bus used to smuggle a spare steering wheel and hide it behind his seat… Until they were on the dual carriageway doing the said 60mph, when he would produce this spare steering wheel and start waving it around as though it had come away from its spindle so these old dears could see it quite clearly, screaming in panic at the top of his voice about the doom they are imminently facing while he was slightly swerving the bus left and right with his other hand… :0)
He used to do this every few weeks or so, or when he guessed there would be some new faces amongst his passengers… that was until the day one old dear had a near fatal heart-attack and they had to call the paramedics to meet the bus at the Bingo hall… He wasn’t allowed to do it again after that :0)
Yeah, I am sure he had a million stories just like that he could rattle off at anytime eh

1 Like

RIP Scottish boxing legend Ken Buchanan.

5 Likes

And now RIP our season

3 Likes

One of the big heavyweights of his generation.
RIP Ken Buchanan, super champ :heart:

3 Likes

He fought at a weight where the best fighters are not as remembered through later generations the way heavier fighters are. Given that it is easy to forget how great a career he had and I think you have to be a real boxing connoisseur to appreciate these days the quality of his record and the wins he had. Perversely that means he is often best remembered for the loss against one of the few fighters of his weight classes who does remain in mainstream memory - Roberto Duran. Duran is absolute great of the game by any measure, and in his long career Buchannan gave him one of his hardest nights. He gave him absolute hell to the point that Duran, arguably, had to resort of foul means to get out of it, hitting him low after the bell with a punch that stopped Buchannan from being able to continue. It’s probably most notable that the authorities demanded a rematch given the unsatisfactory nature of the ending, only for Duran to go to lengths to avoid having to fight him again.

3 Likes

Rest in Peace
Legend

6 Likes

Nobody mourning Nigel Lawson?

I won’t speak ill of the dead, but his daughter’s a minger.

2 Likes

He was useless as Chancellor, never taking responsibility for what was happening around him. Afterwards, he promoted falsehoods which profoundly damaged the standing of the country.

No, I won’t be mourning him. I’m assuming his daughter and other children will.

3 Likes
4 Likes
2 Likes

I saw he died, but on the other hand a couple of years ago he was alive, so maybe this death stuff is just alarmist nonsense?

Just saw one of the S Club 7 fellas died today and then that made me feel old. Then I realized he was only 45, and then that just made me feel old in a different way.

2 Likes

Rest in Peace

2 Likes

I wonder a bit about that Paul from S Club. Well, first i wondered about Lisa Marie Presley and how we hadn’t really heard much from her for years and then the Elvis movie was released and she started doing the circuit again, attending award shows etc.

Paul heard nothing from for years then starts to gear up for an S-Club reunion.

Even perhaps Carrie Fisher, not much of significance for a while then does Force Awakens in 2015 and dies a year later.

Both Lisa and Carrie had issues with drugs when younger, I have no idea about Paul and don’t want to speculate on that, but I wonder if pressures from either themselves or external to suddenly get back into ‘shape’ or exposure to the side-effects of the celeb spotlight (Carrie had a mix of drugs in her system) have added such stresses to their bodies to lead to death.

It’s so sad that such positve moments in their lives have ended ultimately in tragedy.

2 Likes

When I say he had become unrecognizable, I don’t just mean that when I saw the news and saw pics I couldnt picture which one he was. I mean that when compared against pictures from the 00s, I’d have given you a $1000 before I accepted the guy in the obits today was in the older picture.

He had apparently gone through time times financially so you could imagine that even if there were concerns about it otherwise being in his best interests it would be hard to say no to.

1 Like