The R.I.P. thread

He was on the first dates show in the past year or so and completely unrecognisable from the lad 15-20 years earlier

How many fashionista’s is that now who have passed this year alone? Jackie Gold, Paco Rabanne, Vivienne Westwood & now Mary Quant. Doesn’t seem all that long ago Issey Miyake & Thierry Mugler also passed.

2 Likes

BBC News - Dame Mary Quant: Fashion designer dies aged 93

So sad, Dame Mary Quant. An amazing and iconic designer with a unique style and she revolutionised fashion in the 1960s
I used to love her fashion style and clothes. When i first started discovering make-up products, i always used to buy Mary Quant products, especially her eyeshadows. They were the most amazing colours.

RIP Damw Mary Quant

3 Likes

Always sad to read stories of racing divers passing on track. Very rare these days due to improved safety systems.

3 Likes

another one gone. RIP Jah Shaka, a pioneer in his genre of music

1 Like

Amazed it doesn’t happen more often.

Falls into the category of Boxing, as one of those sports than I’m continually amazed we still do.

this one hurts, I do like me some reggae dub.

4 Likes

Rip Dame Edna,

Shes said her last “hello possums”

Comedy gold she was.

6 Likes

Len Goodman - Aged 78yrs young (after short illness in hospice)

Can remember having a conversation with this guy well before he ever appeared on Strictly - All I can say is that he was exactly the same off-air, as he was on it - No airs and graces, to me, a very likeable chap.

RIP

7 Likes
2 Likes

Harry Belafonte - 96yrs young - Heart Failure
Might be more your parents or grandparents era… Every house in the country has probably had an LP of his on a record player at some point though.

3 Likes

So sad, I loved Lenny Goodman, lovely personality. RIP Lenny, you were brilliant on Strictly Come Dancing.

2 Likes

RIP Harry Belafonte❤️. I remember hearing the ‘Banana Boat song’ when i was a child.
Beautiful voice.
Also, he was a huge activist in the civil rights movement in the 1960s.

3 Likes

I think back to the legends of my parents era. Artists like Harry Belafonte, the Rat Pack, Motown, the gods of 60’s rock.

but our childrens’ generation are stuck with this shit:

David Bowie Snl GIF

David was pretty special. But at least he could sing/perform at an artistic level.

1 Like

Who is this? I’ve got no idea who anyone is in popular music nowadays? :thinking::nerd_face:

1 Like

just another of those mumble-rap artists.

Mrs and I grew up in the “golden age” of rap music/hip-hop artists. the pioneers of the genre, where the music had a message. Usually political, could write a thesis on the black movement’s struggle for recognition in the United States and it’s representation in music culture.

highlighted in movies like Spike Lee’s movie “Do The Right Thing” and Public Enemy’s showcase in the soundtrack. that was 1989!

NWA’s album “Straight Outta Compton” was a direct spotlight on police brutality in Los Angeles. Same timeframe as the Rodney King beating and the LA Riots

In a time when the gang wars of south central LA were increasing in violence, a screening of “Boyz N The Hood” by John Singleton actually brought about a “peace agreement” between the Bloods and Crips. That soundtrack was key to the success of the movie.

I could go on and on.

Nowadays, there’s no reflection of any of this in modern rap music. Now it’s just commercialized beats and bullshit lyrics using auto-tone.

1 Like