The R.I.P. thread

My dads favourite was Jim Reeves… Distant Drums, Welcome to my World etc
My mums favourite was Mario Lanza… Ave Maria, Nessun Dorma etc

If Mario Lanza was in the Sunday afternoon film, God help us if we messed about and made a noise when he was singing… With her slipper in her hand at the ready, ya ran for ya life :0)

3 Likes

Are we Siblings? Your parents sound a lot like mine. :+1:

As an aside the lyrics,

“Knock and the door will open
Seek and you will find
Ask and you’ll be given
The key to this world of mine”

are a paraphrased part of the first ever reading that I did in church aged 10. Matthew 7: 7-14. :nerd_face:

2 Likes

Sounds just like my father in 1977 :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Sounds traumatizing

It wasn’t.
He was/is a snobby, out of touch twat

Definitely sounds traumatizing

I don’t hugely disagree, but I also think black artists have the right to make music about inane shit, just like white kids :joy:

Starting to think the music of the generation below you is shit is a rite of passage. Your parents thought your music was shit. Their parents thought their music was shit. The Beatles and Stones were pretty much sneered at by the generation before them.

The thing that does make me think our generation might be in a unique position in criticising the music that has follow us, is the rise of AI. I follow this to some extent as a hobby musician, and it’s really scary. There are now tools being marketed that will effectively write songs for you. Lyrics, music, the whole lot. AI singers just round the corner. Combine this with the time we live in, where it’s never been harder to make a living out of music, and the whole thing could be apocalyptic for the art of making music.

1 Like

I think there are two elements to this. Modern production is horrible and Autotune has ruined many modern artists. However, I have heard some of the same people performing live and it transforms what they are doing. There is a market for people to make a living from music but it relies on accessible venues, not record companies.

Anyway, it’s vastly off topic for this thread - other than Autotune killing music.

3 Likes

@Mascot how about move the last 15 posts to the Music thread and we can continue it there

3 Likes

RIP authentic music. Autotune killed you.

There ya go. Thread on topic.

2 Likes
5 Likes

Drum and bass…

Jerry might have exploited a few people (ahem) over the years but an absolute legend has passed.

1 Like

Like it or not, having a TV show running for 3 decades is no mean feat, a legend in terms of TV. Rip.

RIP Linda Lewis, what a voice!

4 Likes

https://twitter.com/LivEchonews/status/1655621167061905421?s=20

A tireless campaigner for Hillsborough, well respected journalist, thoughts and prayers are with his family. :pray:t2: :palms_up_together:t2:

5 Likes

Looks rather young, how old was he. Rest in peace Dan :pray:

1 Like

1 Like

RIP, Tota Carbajal - ‘El Cinco copas’, the first player to appear in five World Cups, and a legend in Mexico.

IMG_20230509_164450_134

6 Likes

Andy Rourke from the Smiths passed today.

Starting to feel old

Fuck. That sucks.