The R.I.P. thread

Well he scored a lot of penalties in his time.

1 Like

Oh yeah , and that … lol

1 Like

Given the difficulties of comparing players across eras, I will go for a comparison…

Jarrod Bowen.

Stocky. Busy. Useful player. Not top level elite, but good, and operating in the higher portion of the old Division One.

Reminds me of a story Bobby Charlton told about Bill Shankly at my golf club smoker many years ago.

Bill Shankly when he’d retired was working as a co-commentator in a match where a very young Tony Currie was playing.
They both raved about what a great prospect he was and what a performance he’d just given.
Knowing how highly Shankly regarded Tom Finney, the commentator asked Bill how he would compare Currie to Tom Finney.

Shankly replied, well from what I’ve just witnessed, I’d say they were level pegging.
That’s a fantastic compliment you’ve just given to Currie, saying he’s as good as Tom Finney.

Yes, but Tom is 63 now replied Bill.

RIP Cathy Ferguson,

without a doubt the biggest influence in Fergie Career

5 Likes

RIP Cathy Ferguson

4 Likes

Another Liverpool filmmaker, Terence Davies, has died aged 77:

1 Like

RIP Piper Laurie

3 Likes
2 Likes

Sir Bobby Charlton: A Manchester United icon and one of sport’s greatest figures - Sir Bobby Charlton: A Manchester United icon and one of sport's greatest figures - BBC Sport

5 Likes

Nooooo

Truly a gent

7 Likes

Genuinely quite upset by that. He visited our school once when I was a kid. Didn’t matter that we were mostly Liverpool and Everton fans. He was a legend.

7 Likes

Legend is bandied about too easily these days, but Bobby Charlton is most definitely one. RIP

7 Likes

Yeah. I used to go to the Bobby Charlton soccer school every summer and back then in the early years he was heavily involved and around pretty much every day. He’d put his boots on, join in our sessions and then go back and eat lunch with us. Beyond just clearly loving football and enjoying having a way to be involved he was always so charming and kind to a degree a man of his stature didn’t have to be to a bunch of kids. He was just like a granddad to a new group of 1000 kids every week.

The training fields were about a mile walk back to campus and one day a few of us stayed behind to do some additional work and it started pouring (Manchester in the summer :joy:). For whatever reason he was still out at the fields as well and pulled out in his car as soon as we walked out of the gate to start our walk back in the rain. He stopped and told us to get in, cramming 4 or 5 of us mud covered and soaking wet kids into his immaculately clean fancy jag and drove us back to campus. When we got back we were treated like gods by the other kids :joy:

8 Likes

RIP to a proper gentleman and heartfelt condoléances to his family

6 Likes

RIP Mr Manchester United.

A true great of the beautiful game

5 Likes

Fantastic player. What a shot, left, right, the lot. A world class great of the game. And then as everyone is pointing out, a true gentleman too. Unassuming, humble.

RIP.

5 Likes

When you consider the state of the pitches and the ferocious tackling he had to contend with. A player who would have thrived even more in today’s era. A true legend who transcended all petty rivalries.

A childhood England hero of mine. Even survived the Munich crash and the loss of his mates.

8 Likes

His goal against Mexico in 66 is one of my favorites ever. Ends with a rocket, but it’s the balletic running with the ball that preceded it, the way he sways from side to side almost Barnes like, is what makes it so beautiful.

7 Likes

Rest In Peace Sir Bobby Charlton. One of the game’s all-time greats.

4 Likes