The R.I.P. thread

2 Likes

Full Monty star Tom Wilkinson dies ‘suddenly’ aged 75 as tributes flood in to ‘one of the best’

Tom Wilkinson, best known for his role as former steel mill foreman Gerald Cooper in The Full Monty, died “suddenly” with his death was confirmed in a statement shared by his agent on behalf of his family

RIP
 Brilliant Actor this guy

Farewell to one of life’s good guys:

My most sincere condolences to his family and friends.

7 Likes

I was in a band in the early eighties who had a tribute song for Pilger.

The lyrics were:

John Pilger, reporter extraordinaire
John Pilger, he’s bald, but he’s got long hair

RIP

2 Likes

I think most of us have been aware of the final, painful journey of this guy

RIP - Derek Draper 1967 - 2024

2 Likes

David Soul - Starsky & Hutch star dies aged 80

6 Likes

I know this means nothing, but I was randomly watching a film with ‘Starsky’ in it last night.

Anyway, I enjoyed David Soul in the Salem’s Lot miniseries.

RIP

4 Likes

Mario Zagallo, the first person to win the World Cup as a player and a manager, has died aged 92.

3 Likes

Rest in peace, Mario :heart: :pray:

1 Like

He never gave up and Kate, what she went through seeing him suffer must have been heartbreaking, what a devoted wife.
May he rest in eternal peace.

This is also reminder of how the Corona virus mercilessly took so many lives of many people, with so many families effected. This government should never be forgiven of what they did in not taking this pandemic seriously and in not providing adequate PPE to key workers.

5 Likes

Can’t believe he is gone. I was a fan of Starskey and Hutch. Without them, we wouldn’t have got Cagney and Lacey, CHips, Miami Vice etc. David Soul was a good singer too, had a few hits.
RIP

5 Likes

R.I.P. Franz Beckenbauer.

6 Likes

I am so shocked and saddened at the passing of Franz Beckenbauer at the age of 78.

My Dad was a great admirer of Beckenbauer. He is true iconic legend of football.
He was often mentioned in the same sentence as Cryuff and Pele.
Beckenbauer isn’t just a huge loss to Germany, but to the world of Football. He
changed the game, not only as a player, but as a manager and with the various football federation.

Condolences to his family and our fellow German Reds on TAN.

How is the reaction from Germany?

Sadness in Germany:

The 74 World Cup was the first I remember so those German and Dutch players were really my first introduction to international football.

3 Likes

I remember my Dad talking about the 1974 final. The Dutch were the favourites, but Beckenbauer and MĂŒller got my Dad and his mates talking.

What is amazing was Beckenbauer was a central defender and he won the Ballon d’or twice which is unusual.

2 Likes

5 Likes

Seeing him play gave you the impression that football is so very easy. And often even elegant.
Here in Germany he was admired by everyone who loves the game no matter what club you support. Few players achieve that.

2 Likes

What a player he was. A true great. Up there with Cruyff and Pele imo. He graced Anfield on a couple of occasions in European competition with FCB. RIP to Der Kaiser.

2 Likes

1 Like

In the final in 66 Charlton, England’s best player and top scorer going into the final, was given the job of man marking him. That is a sentence that does not makes any sense without Beckenbauer being the CB in question.

3 Likes