The R.I.P. thread

Never forget his best performance:

3 Likes

Bobby’s telling of the story :joy:
https://x.com/Cantona_Collars/status/1744399898282164552?s=20

JPR Williams - Rugby Icon - 74yrs Young

The former fullback, instantly recognisable with his low socks and long sideburns, also played for Bridgend, London Welsh and the Barbarians.
It was while playing for the Barbarians in 1973 against New Zealand that he was involved in what is widely regarded as the “greatest try ever scored” - a stunning 22-second blitz from one end of the field to another ending in a try by Gareth Edwards.

RIP JPR Williams

9 Likes

One of the best full backs, even to this day.

So good, Pep would have tried to sign him.

A doctor too.

RIp

5 Likes

Did WG play with a sweeper even back then? I always thought that it’s 1966 back four consisted of Hottges, Weber, Schulz and Schnellinger, with FB in a holding role in front of it. Oh well. Mind you, given his skillset, what a world class playmaker he could have been deployed further forward!

5 Likes

BBC Radio 1’s Annie Nightingale dies aged 83 as family pays tribute to ‘role model’

Radio broadcaster and TV presenter Annie Nightingale has sadly died following a short illness, her family have said. The star was known for encouraging a generation of young women after her epic career

RIP :frowning_face:

3 Likes

A bit of an obscure one to many I suspect but Tony Clarkin of the band Magnum passed away suddenly a few days or so ago. He was 77 and had been an active musician since 1972. Magnum has just released a new a album and we’re probably planning to tour again. He just never stopped writing, recording and touring.

2 Likes
3 Likes

She was a fabulous presenter, so different from the others. I remember late night radio shows introducing new bands to the airwaves and the Sunday show at 7pm. As far as i remember, it was a quite abit of dance alternative dance music she used to play alot.
RIP Annie Nightingale

3 Likes

God, I feel like I spent a LOT of my teenage years with her. It’s wild that she was older then than I am now and yet giving me direction on how to be a cool and youthful

2 Likes

Gigi Riva passed last night. When I was a kid and first started getting into football he was in that class of the greats of the previous generation you just missed being able to see. Probably what the kids today think of Zidane. Or how they’ll understand Messi in 5 years. These are the players against whom the players you were then watching were compared against. It always felt like they as much as the ones you were actually watching are made football so fascinating and awe inspiring.

3 Likes

Riva, Mazzola, Boninsegna, Rivera all magical names from football all those years ago. I remember the romanticism of Italian football. The rare occasions that we saw them they looked like giants of men.
RIP Gigi Riva, joins the great footballers in paradise…

1 Like

In Italy it is widely accepted that he was the the country’s greatest forward ever before sly invented football and even after. First Kaiser Franz, now Riva. The greats of the 60s and early 70s are nearly all gone now. RIP Gigi.

1 Like

Frank Farian, the German musician, has died. He’s not that well known, even in Germany, but his musical projects, Boney M and Milli Vanilli, certainly are.

4 Likes
1 Like
4 Likes

Rest in Peace :pleading_face:

1 Like

I was really enjoying his performances in the Mandalorian… hadn’t realised he was 76 though!

5 Likes

Such a charismatic guy. For as iconic as Apollo and Dillon were, it’s always been a confusion to me that he didnt get more big roles

3 Likes