The R.I.P. thread

That’s sad. I know he had been ill for a while but I always liked him on TV.

I just heard on the radio that the American singer Eric Carmen has died. Possibly remembered best for “All By Myself”, one of the best power ballads of the 1970s. (Well accounting for the fact that it was based on a Rachmaninoff piano concerto):

3 Likes

I was really hoping to find an Eric Cartman version of that song.

1 Like

Steve Harley of Cockney Rebel has died.

I saw him play live once which was a good gig that I recall for having an interminable sound check after which his bass player was still out of tune!

5 Likes

One of the best pop songs of the seventies, IMO.

3 Likes

Rest in Peace Larry. Giant of a man.

9 Likes

Rest in peace, Larry :pray:

RIP Larry Lloyd…another of Shanks men…

1 Like

“Larry, I have come to the conclusion that you would kick your grandmother for a fiver,” the legendary Bill Shankly said to the young Bristol Rovers player as talks began about a move to Liverpool.

Liverpool confirm classy plan to honour Larry Lloyd

Liverpool will pay tribute to Larry Lloyd at Anfield.

They have confirmed there will be a period of applause for the former defender inside the stadium when Liverpool face Brighton in the Premier League on Sunday. Lloyd played more than 200 times for Liverpool, after being signed by Bill Shankly, and helped them win the First Division and UEFA Cup double in 1973.

They paid tribute to him on Thursday, following his death at the age of 75. “Liverpool FC is deeply saddened by the passing of former defender Larry Lloyd, aged 75,” it read.

“Lloyd, who made 218 appearances and won the league championship and a UEFA Cup during a five-year spell with the Reds, died overnight.

“Signed from Bristol Rovers by Bill Shankly in April 1969 as a prospective replacement for the legendary Ron Yeats at the back, Lloyd debuted later that year.

“After totalling just nine games during his first season at Anfield, the aerially dominant and strong-tackling Lloyd became a mainstay of the team across the next four campaigns.

“There were 60 appearances throughout 1970-71 as Shankly’s reconstructed side were narrowly beaten in the Fairs Cup semi-finals and then the FA Cup final.

“Liverpool were a point away from lifting the title the following year, too, but silverware was on the horizon for Lloyd and his teammates.

“Larry certainly earned it on a personal level, starting every one of the Reds’ 66 fixtures in all competitions in a 1972-73 season that yielded league and UEFA Cup glory.

“Indeed, Lloyd’s goal to make it 3-0 in the first leg of the European showpiece against Borussia Monchengladbach proved to be the winner as Liverpool went on to prevail 3-2 on aggregate.

“He added 40 more games the next term to move beyond 200 appearances for the club, including three in the early stages of a run to a second FA Cup triumph in 1974.

“Larry departed Anfield later that year to join Coventry City, though it was a subsequent switch to Nottingham Forest that would see his collection of honours expand.

“A fine spell with Forest included twice getting his hands on the European Cup and gaining another league winner’s medal, before his playing career concluded at Wigan Athletic.

“LFC will pay tribute to Lloyd with a period of applause at Anfield on Sunday when the Reds host Brighton & Hove Albion

“The thoughts of everyone at the club are with Larry’s family and friends at this sad time.”

5 Likes

He was a damn fine actor, sadly doesn’t get as much recognition as I think his body of work deserves. Although he was the first black actor to win an supporting actor oscar, but always felt a lot more of his work got overlooked

6 Likes

I just read that Nobel Prize winning psychologist Daniel Kahneman died last week, He is sometimes thought of as the father of behavioral economics, and one of the few high profile psychology academics known in non-academic circles to have been left unscathed by the replication crisis

2 Likes

The physicist, Peter Higgs, has died.

3 Likes

Worth remembering:

At 84, Higgs is in impressive health, and recounts an altogether different kind of life, in which his political beliefs and trade union activities frequently got in the way of his work, making him so troublesome that he says his university would have sacked him decades ago, were it not for the chance he might one day win the Nobel prize. For more than 20 years Higgs wasn’t even on speaking terms with his principal at Edinburgh university. He says he struggled to keep up with developments in particle theory, published so few papers that he became an “embarrassment” to his department, and would never get a job in academia now. Then again, in today’s hectic academic world he thinks he would never have had enough the time or space to formulate his groundbreaking theory.

From Peter Higgs interview: 'I have this kind of underlying incompetence' | Particle physics | The Guardian

When his marriage broke down in the 1970s, “I got very depressed for years.” Not having studied particle physics at PhD level, he was also struggling to keep up with developments in his own field. “I got left behind by all the technical details, and never caught up. So I have,” he starts to chuckle, "this kind of underlying incompetence

4 Likes

Celebrity murderer OJ Simpson has died.

Oh well.

1 Like

He didn’t face karma though.

1 Like

He did end up doing a lengthy stretch in jail though unlike, say, Oscar Pistorius, even though it was for an unrelated offence.

Apologies, got incorrect info

Who was it?

I got a news feed thing that Papa Bouba Diop had died…but its a couple of years old.
I forgot he was dead.

1 Like