The R.I.P. thread

R.I.P. to one of life’s good guys:

My condolences to his family and friends.

8 Likes

I did bump into him once. He actually had a rather interesting political background. I think he was essentially a One-nation Conservative but he left them because he was opposed to apartheid and couldn’t stomach their policy on South Africa. But i did seem to give him a clean state in terms of welfare ideas.

I did get the impression from Birkenhead Labour party members that they got exasperated with him at times. I think he was pro-Brexit which was insane for a constituency that contained the Dublin and Belfast freight terminals.

3 Likes

A principled man and innovative thinker who was in politics to serve the people. We need more like him today. RIP Frank Field.

I read one thing about him just now that caught my attention. I knew he was a confirmed bachelor type, but I read he was from a generation of Labour politicians where it was deemed unacceptable to come out as gay.

If indeed he was gay, then of course it was his business to handle coming out, or not, in whatever way he deemed right for him.

With that said, I am thankful, especially as I have a gay daughter, that we now live in an age where that has changed.

7 Likes

Just returned from ANZAC day dawn service

Lest we forget.

10 Likes

Hear hear​:clap::clap::clap:

1 Like

Mike Pinder of the Moody Blues has died.

Possibly not a household name on his own but he was largely responsible for popularising the Mellotron, even introducing the Beatles to the instrument.

2 Likes

I dont know that I associate any song with an instrument as much as do the Mellotron with Strawberry Fields so that is a cool association I didnt know about

3 Likes

Was a real funny guy this feller… RIP Wally, thanks for the laughs and the memories

Wally Scott dies as friend and Merseyside radio legend Billy Butler pays tribute

Wally Scott was most famously known for the radio quiz show Hold Your Plums with DJ Billy Butler

2 Likes

100%. All the criticism of ‘wokeism’ etc overlooks it’s all part of a perspective that has made some giant strides for some previously very discriminated against groups.

2 Likes

One of the greats and a thoroughly nice bloke too, by all accounts.

My condolences to his family and friends.

4 Likes

Probably his most familiar hit (although, surprisingly, not his biggest in the UK):

5 Likes

Actor Bernard Hill has died:

Many, many brilliant performances over his career but his performance of Yosser Hughes in Boys From The Blackstuff still haunts me.

6 Likes

It’s absolutely fucking pissing it down here so I may take this as a sign to binge LotR

Duty? No. I would have you smile again, not grieve for those whose time has come. You shall live to see these days renewed. No more despair.

2 Likes

Wonderful actor. Yosser was unforgettable.

6 Likes

RIP Bernard ‘Yosser Hughes’ Hill

God should give him a job… coz he can do that…!

Brilliant actor

6 Likes

I bloody dread posts in this thread.

3 Likes

RIP, El Flaco.

5 Likes

Fricking legend, R.I.P.

2 Likes

Saw this yesterday. Really gutted.

Loads of stories about him, but there is the one about him refusing to take a royalty from Nirvana because he viewed himself as a contractor and not an artist. He didn’t want to deprive the artist of income.

2 Likes

Susan Backlinie has passed. She was 77.

For those who don’t know who she was…

Rest in peace, Susan.

3 Likes