The R.I.P. thread

I see what you did there

Scottish actress, Gudrun Ure, better known as Super Gran, has died:

1 Like

Not exactly breaking news, but Paul Auster, the great writer from New York, died some time ago. I donā€™t think it has been reported in here.

RIP Paul, and thank you for writing all these wonderful books.

4 Likes

And just think, that Amrabat tackle last night wasnt even given as a penalty.

1 Like

fuckā€¦RIP Dutchy you legend. fuck cancer

Legendary singer who helped give The Beatles their start, Frank Ifield, dies aged 86

One of my Grannies favourite singers - Aussie as wellā€¦!
Always seemed to be on TV on a Sunday night yodelling away

RIP

6 Likes

RIP Frank.
I remember you

2 Likes

Grim Reaper strikes againā€¦

David Wilkie dies aged 70 as tributes paid to British swimming Olympic icon

Olympic swimming champion David Wilkie has died aged 70 from cancer.

Wilkie is best known for winning a gold medal in the 200m breaststroke at the Olympic Games in Montreal in 1976. The Scot also won two Olympic silver medals and three world titles during a successful swimming career.

He was voted British Sports personality of the year in 1975 and was awarded an MBE in 1977.

A statement from his family read: ā€œIt is with great sadness that the family of David Wilkie MBE announce that he died peacefully surrounded by his family this morning, following his brave battle with cancer.ā€ Team GB tweeted: ā€œOur thoughts are with Davidā€™s family and friends.ā€

RIP David Wilkie

8 Likes

I just about remember him. RIP.

2 Likes

I remember our local swimming pool having a picture of him on the wall after the Montreal games. Always a bit of inspiration for me as breaststroke was my event.

4 Likes

He was famous enough when I was kid to make it appear that Britain was good at swimming which made it a surprise to then get to an age where I realized that we actually werenā€™t (maybe LA in 84)

3 Likes

Made me smileā€¦

5 Likes

RIP David Wilkie,
I remember him. I think he is the first British swimmer i remember.

3 Likes

I used to have David Wilkie armbands as a kid

1 Like

On reflection, it is an interesting quirk that the few world class swimmers we did produce were all breaststrokers. A run of Wilkie, Goodhew, and Moorehouse, and Gillingham made us challengers in those events for 20 years

2 Likes

Yes. I just ended doing breaststroke because that is what my father competed in (although he never got anywhere near the Olympics). I just wonder if one successful athlete encourages another? Do you remember in the early 1980s that we had Sebastian Coe, Steve Ovett and Steve Cram as pretty much the top 3 middle distance runners in the world?

1 Like

It could be that David Bedford inspired Coe, Ovett and Cram. If I remember correctly, the guy would just hit the front of the race from the starting gun, and normally stayed out in front for the entire 10,000mā€¦!
He also inspired this advert :0)

1 Like

He never won a medal for some reason. 4th in the Commonwealth Games was his best effortā€¦

He came twelfth in the 5000 m and sixth in the 10,000 m at the 1972 olympics.

He finished 4th in the 1974 Commonwealth Games 10,000 m.

Donā€™t worry, you are definitely still alive Dave if you are reading this.

1 Like

Bedford was a grinder without a world class kick. It allowed him to set a fast pace from the gun and sustain it, but general major competition golds are won with more tactical races that require runners to turn up the pace towards the end. The result was a runner who put in isolated world class times throughout the season without being able to win the big ones. Didnt help there were runners as good as Viren and Yifter around at his time

2 Likes
5 Likes