The R.I.P. thread

A reminder that we game we follow comes with risks.

My condolences to his family and friends.

7 Likes

I heard Gabby Logan talking on Desert Island Disks about her brother who died in similar circumstances (in the early 90s). He had just signed an apprenticeship with Leeds at the time. I think she set up a charity that was trying to detect cases.

3 Likes

Saw him once in Germany. Think it was 2010.
R.I.P.

3 Likes

39ā€¦wow, didnā€™t even know he was ill. RIP Sol.

https://x.com/Boro/status/1830010485648814413

5 Likes

Fallen ill before a match, he had had cancer but had the all clear.

1 Like

Another great man goneā€¦thanks for the memories Ronā€¦

5 Likes

He was playing on my first visit to Anfield in the second division days. The signing of Saint and Yeatsy started it all offā€¦thanks for the memories big man.

16 Likes

The greatest CH in Liverpoolā€™s history imo stalwart of the Shanks era has passed away RIP and condolĆ©ances to his family.

7 Likes

RIP Ron Yeats. Before my time but I remember my dad talking about him, and Ian Saint John, and other leading lights of that vintage.

Those players put us on the map under Shanks, and then it was onwards and upwards. They played many years before crazy money entered football, and one of the ironies is that lesser lights went on to make many millions.

Still, the likes of Yeats built this club up, and we are forever grateful.

I love the Shanks line where he invited reporters to come and walk around him, saying heā€™s a colossus. Is right. RIP.

9 Likes

Heā€™s certainly in the discussion.

My most sincere condolences to his family and friends.

6 Likes

Rip James Earl Jonesā€¦,greatest voice for a baddie for all timeā€¦

12 Likes

Yep great voice as a baddie or sometimes as the hero, RIP

5 Likes

Apart from his obvious contribution to a certain sci fi franchise, his cameo in The Big Bang Theory (with Carrie Fisher) sticks in my mind. Properly hillarious.

2 Likes

The original audio for Vader was hilarious. Somebody (who deserved a huge bonus) obviously thought a change was in order. Perfect voice for the best villain in movie history. Loved him in Coming to America, brilliantly played :slight_smile:

Here https://youtu.be/KQFho0_G1VI?si=N9cg7NFM60HnSY0S

3 Likes

thank fuck they changed that then!!!

1 Like

Yeah, Dave Prowse got a shit voice and he canā€™t fence too. Broke many prop sabers.

2 Likes

Roots, Conan the Barbarian, Field of Dreams, the Jack Ryan movie franchise. What a presence he had. And of course, that voice. Sadly missed. RIP.

3 Likes

Iā€™d never heard that before. I mean they would have to have dubbed it anyway because of the mask, but the choice of voice was inspired.

Iā€™ve heard multiple actors saying that they thought Star Wars was garbage when they were making it. Obviously, they had no idea what a difference post production would make.

1 Like

In particular, the editing. The role of Marcia Lucas in creating Star Wars often goes overlooked. The film was an absolute mess until she got hold of it. Lucas had filmed thousands of feet of pilots talking to each other, technobabble and long meandering scenes that went nowhere.

She cut it to the bone and injected pace, and emotional beats that hadnā€™t been there before.

Back to James Earl Jones, I never realised he was the voice of Vader when I was a kid. Who is interested in those names at the end of a film. To me heā€™ll always be Terrance Mann, and my enduring vision of him, is walking into the corn field.

3 Likes

Another veteran Liverpool actor, Kenneth Cope, has died. Probably best known as the ghost, Marty Hopkirk, in Randall and Hopkirk (Deceased):

2 Likes