The Random Football Debate Thread

Yes, it is. There is perhaps a certain silliness to it all, ‘people of color’ is fine, ‘colored people’ is retrograde, but people are sensitive about stuff like that. Funny how having laws written to restrict ‘colored people’ leaves a lasting and harmful resentment on the people subject to those laws.

4 Likes

I’m amazed people of colour is fine, tbh. It sounds terrible to an English ear (at least mine at any rate).

3 Likes

Mine as well, because it sounds so similar to the ‘colored people’ usage.

3 Likes

The use of colored offends me,it’s coloured for fuck sake.

6 Likes

What colour is Donal Trump…?? Just asking is all

3 Likes

I am asking this because I genuinely want to know. Who would be classed as people of colour? Chinese people? Arab people? Can I use Arab?

I was in South America last year and an elderly American in our group said he had heard that some UK cities are now mainly Arab. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Is that Donald’s Irish cousin?

2 Likes

d :grinning:

2 Likes

Not an expert, but people of colour seems to cover everyone who is not completely descended from Europeans.

2 Likes

US usage, so in referring to their usage I use their spelling. So ‘people of color’ doesn’t phase me, ‘people of colour’ seems odd. However, at least here, American usage has become more and more common. Definitely something we want to import, American race relations and discourse…

3 Likes

Trudeau is such a role model :astonished:

3 Likes

I’d say he’s a darker shade of cunt.

3 Likes

It really is, especially as we become increasingly non-binary, it can be really difficult to keep track of what terms are currently preferred and which are antiquated. Most of us are going to make mistakes when dealing with someone from a group you’re not exposed to enough to know the terminology. But the issue here is he is the chairman of the FA in a time with unprecedented focus on the role of BAME in football and society. He shouldnt be unaware and the fact he is speaks to him being the wrong man for the job at this time. Maybe.

3 Likes

Has now resigned.

2 Likes

Just remembered several posters on TIA called me out for referring to our new Jap…they said it was an offensive term.

However look at this. Is this offensive then?

2 Likes

I am confused. What expression should we use? I heard recently that the term “BAME” was now considered offensive in some quarters.

3 Likes

Different places have different societal norms I guess. Here in South Africa we have Black, White, Indian and… Coloured as our four main race groups and all are proud to be called as such. Our history is of course very much different and Coloured history and the origin of the ethnic group is a topic all on its own but the term carries no derogatory meaning here whatsoever.

3 Likes

Brobdingnagian!

2 Likes

I would probably use BAME or maybe non-white but that doesn’t sound particularly ideal either.

I note that Peter McCormick is interim Chair. Quite the rise for someone who fucked up the Suarez case.

1 Like

So it’s not funny how language changes?
My mistake.

2 Likes