The Random Football Debate Thread

Seems like Utd have already signed Doink the Clown in preperation of this innovative collab

1 Like

Should be a red card that.

Fernandes have been watching all the episodes of RAW and Smackdown.

wwe-fake

Another fine Barney Ronay article, he’s becoming my favorite football prose writer.

5 Likes
3 Likes

Interesting story in France I dont know how to feel about. Mbappe has had a long running debate with the French FA about the conflict between the FA’s corporate sponsors and those of the players who are asked to front for the FA’s sponsors when on international duty. After supposed agreements were not followed up with, Mbappe sat out the commercial appearances at this most recent get together forcing the issue into the public again. His argument is that the companies they are being asked to front for, fast food and betting companies, and not what professional athletes should be supporting.

On the one hand, I think there is real value in this sort of stance. Similar to Ronaldo’s Pepsi-water thing at the most recent Euros. I cannot tell you the number of overweight American kids I know who drink nothing but Gatorade (an American sugary “recovery” drink formulated for athletes…which actually needs to be diluted if its going to be used as a rehydration vehicle) because of how well marketed it is. Athletes thinking of the social value of the brands they choose to endorse is a big positive.

On the other hand, it also feels like pulling the ladder up once you’ve reached the top. It’s easy to act like you’re socially conscious once you’ve already taken enough money from all parties to grant you the luxury of turning down certain corporate partnerships. It’s also of dubious legitimacy for a man whose current wealth is bankrolled by a morally corrupt petrostate dictatorship who picked up his contract from a Russian Oligarch.

Mbappe? It’s Arab slave+oil money.

Do you mean his time at Monaco?

“…a morally corrupt petrostate dictatorship…”

Former Ballon D‘Or winner Kaka completed his first marathon at the age of 40 today.

Finished the 42 kilometres of the Berlin Marathon in 3hrs38mins.

Great to see him keeping fit.

2 Likes

Don’t think he ran 42 kilometres over his entire career.

He didn’t need to.

2 Likes

I like this lad’s YouTube channel. His vids aren’t in depth, but he often talks about mostly forgotten figures in the game, doesn’t seem to have any particular bias, and perhaps most importantly, he doesn’t SHOUT AT YOU CONSTANTLY, which is a pleasant change of pace.

1 Like

@El-Cuchillero excellent, thanks for posting :+1:

I knew he was someone who created foundations at Barca, but I don’t think I knew he was at Ajax as well.

Those damn coincidences; Ajax got Vic Buckingham, while Norway and Sweden got Roy Hodgson…

That comment made me rethink the meaning of the monkey emoji
Hodgson Facerub GIF | Gfycat

That era :grimacing:

It was a dark dark time. I recall getting into an argument with @ZinedineBiscan about whose fault it was for a goal we conceded. I thought he was reflexively blaming Konchesky (he always did because he hated him…and loved Insua) and it all of a sudden hit me that I was putting energy into defending a player who didn’t justify being defended. Even if that goal wasnt entirely his fault, he was still shit. There was just too much wrong to care too much about talking about anything. It’s all shit, they’re all shit. This is all shit

Fuck This Over It GIF by MOODMAN

I got amazing new job two weeks before Christmas which made the period a bit easier to live through.

In fact I had driven up with my dad to look at flats and walked past one of the Sky things announcing Roy had gone, it was one of the best days of my life :rofl:

Nice new apartment
Nice new job
And Roy had gone.

5 Likes

I remember wanting us to sign Matthew Etherington.

This is hilarious, outrageous…and other things. We can laugh now.

I just laughed when Steve Kean who was on a losing streak got a 3-1 win over us, it got so desperate you knew the sacking was near but.