The Random Football Debate Thread

I honestly thought Platini was a statesman, early on, and would cleanse the game. I seem to remember he was an early advocate for good financial governance, but once PSG had their noses in the trough, he lost his taste for it.

I got the impression that he was a man on a mission early on, in football administration, but then somewhere along the way it got its claws into him, and the money, corruption and power got the better of him.

2 Likes

Agree ROTW also though same initially about Platini. From memory, his son was involved somehow and nepotism seems to have diverted him; haven’t really kept abreast as football has just become too cynical, corrupt and dispiriting even for me.

1 Like

never should have got there. 0:08 that foul should have been blown and let both sides cool off.

1 Like

Tell me he hadn’t bet on a certain player being sent off.

he hadn’t bet on a certain player being sent off

But he had obviously.

That or he had some mind blank.

got caught watching instead of blowing the whistle.

Might do this after today

I tried it for three months. Can do without the whole lot… except for Liverpool.

2 Likes

To be honest I’m not that obsessive anymore. Don’t bother with it on Twitter anymore. As you say I could probably dump it all bar Liverpool that would keep dragging me back in.

Though I’m no longer massively interested in watching us.

2 Likes

I seriously might have a pause until next season. It’s just too depressing right now.

1 Like

Going watch home matches but I don’t think I’m going bother with away. See how Díaz comes back is probably my major thing to look out for now.

If we somehow find a patch of form again I might follow it but I had zero expectations today. Probably why I didn’t bother with an alarm.

Last time I had a break we went on a winning run and scraped top 4 (Ali header etc).
Might be the only hope now.

1 Like

On that break, no temptations back. Don’t to be tempted when Darwin Nunez scores a hattrick on Tuesday.

This bloke actually looks like Karius :joy:

I’m sure Karius wishes he could erase football from his life. Then he could concentrate on modelling.

1 Like

We should have used him more for our range to be fair. Lost marketing opportunity.

The year after we won the title did it for me. Partly a feeling that I had ‘completed’ football now that I’d seen us win every competition available. Partly playing the season infront of our substitutes and a few ground staff. Partly going through a hard time personally when I got stuck on a different continent to my wife and son for 6 months. Football just didn’t seem to matter anymore.

I’m not as uninterested as I once was, still love watching youth football, but increasingly of the opinion that none of it matters even in a football sense. Yeah we are a bit shit now, but we are a rich club with a global fanbase so its just a matter of time until we are good again. Hard to get too worked up about individual games, my reaction is more “oh well” than “fucking hell”.

I do think its healthier. I watch us when I can, if we win I think its great and if we don’t I think oh well, turn the TV off and don’t really think about it again.

3 Likes

To those of you making a decision to cut LFC from your lives because of the current predicament…

If I cannot watch the current struggles, if I choose to not watch the current struggles, how can I celebrate the highs?
Its like marriage, if there are bad moments you have a choice.
Persevere or walk away. I have no respect for fair weather supporters.

@Sweeting and others…
Yours is a different case.
I have real challenges in my life where football had to take a back seat.
But I never wilfully stopped watching football because Liverpool were poor or annoying me.

2 Likes