The Random Football Debate Thread

Probably shouldn’t laugh but I was not to be helped.

https://x.com/DirtyFootbaIIer/status/1727060815222829521?s=20

Just a YELLOW :man_facepalming:

Perfectly legit challange

Youtube What GIF

It’s really not a bad idea. The gap between yellow and red cards is too big. There needs to be an intermediate sanction.

4 Likes

The PGMOL would still fuck it up though

5 Likes

I don’t mind this idea. It’s been in the amateur game for a few years now and helps especially it’s a hefty fine to send off a lad down there and sometimes you just need the lad to calm down.

Its among the worst ideas ever in football.

I despair at the constant need to “improve” what was already a great game.

I’m curious about the potential inclusion of tactical fouling in it.

Will probably result in a completely uneven application of that law, as ever.

1 Like

It is a great game, but that doesn’t mean it can’t be improved.
I can remember the days before passing back to the goalie was regulated. It was a great game then, but became better for that rule change.
Red cards have such a huge impact on a match, especially if they happen early in the game, and can often spoil the spectacle.
For example, if there had been an option of sin binning Jones for, say, 15 mins v Spurs, it would have been much better than removing him completely from the match.

3 Likes

Do you think Jones deserved “sin binning”…he barely merited yellow.

And we often see reds not given because its too early in the game etc…there is a reluctance sometimes to issue a red where it is warranted, a sin bin would go someway to alleviate that, even if not perfect.

2 Likes

I think tying their boot laces together would be much more fun!

Some interesting stories and informations.

Refereeing is already too complicated. All this will do is add another variable that adds even more inconsistency in how games are officiated resulting in more frustration from fans.

One clarification I read was that it was intended primarily to deal with behavior towards refs rather than fouls, and that is something I could maybe get on board with. Extending it as an intermediate punishment for fouls is where it starts getting really dicey.

This seems to be where most of the fan/pundit conversation is, but there is absolutely no way this is being applied for offenses in which a red was given for serious foul play like Jones.

You don’t address issues like Jones being sent off by bringing in new punishments. You do it by reevaluating what refs are told to look for in a serious foul play offense

1 Like

https://twitter.com/MailSport/status/1730632994497388578?t=rc_IOXF2WLbgdnacZ-hgYg&s=19

So this is peak random but I’ve signed for a local team in Guam while I’m on deployment - first game for them today involved a little kickabout with Gianni Infantino and Youri Djorkaeff!

2 Likes

I hope you nobbled Infantino

3 Likes

I really wanted to boot him into the air but I thought I probably shouldn’t since he was there to sign some funding to fix the football facilities after a typhoon wiped most of the island out this year.

3 Likes