The Referees or The Twelfth Man

For the decisive moments then yes take a 2nd look via the pitchside monitor.

As I said I hate VAR and especially hiw it has been implemented by the Premier league

1 Like

Which means what though? What is a decisive moment? You’ve already said that one of your biggest criticisms is that you cannot celebrate a goal for fearing VAR will disallow it, so how do you implement that more liberal use of it without making that issue worse?

FWIW, Im not trying to be argumentative just generally interested at how people think the issues they think are occurring can be reconciled

I have given an example of the penalty which was a decisive moment

2 Likes

Just watched Klopp his presser and he talked about how he sat down with Taylor after the match and was completely calm and told him how he saw the match and how Taylor saw it.

For the love of god it will always be a completed mystery to me how he can be in the same room with that Manchester fraude and not punch his lights out 

2 Likes

Exactly how we all feel eh :0)

:eyes:

And on the other hand there are 
 who think all is fair and scare in football land 

I love how Liverpool are +3 and some will go “Livarpool ha ha ha”.

But if the officials hadn’t been shite the Coady was off, Fabinho was fouled, Firmino was on side.

All the decisions pointed out were correctly overturned because the decisions on the field were wrong and in some cases with Coady’s offside and Fabinho being fouled they were bloody obvious to Stevie Wonder.

1 Like

Only in football do you see these things, being rewarded for being a disgrace.

So it’s not surprising to see that trend continue yet they throw a hissy fit as soon a fan/player/manager tells an official to fuck off.

1 Like

I find it odd how two brothers can reach the pinnacle of refeering in the country.

Sort of backs my theory that it’s a certain type that comes through and that isn’t a good thing.

Then again one brother seems deeply unpleasant and it’s hard to gain much respect for that type anyhow.

Continuing on that theme, this article came so close to uncovering the truth, but decided to just abandon it:

It argues that VAR is taking the buzz and the drama away, but the instinct of the author is to argue that VAR should be done away with, as opposed to pointing out the flaws of refereeing in general and acknowledging that it’s still better than getting many decisions egregiously wrong.

It did lead me to this article though, while pointing out that ex-player seem to be completely clueless about the rules:

3 Likes

That’s a really good piece.

A fair bit is subjective and I’ve moaned about certain refs on here but this “it’s taking the drama of the game away”, I’ve grown to live with it, I would never in a thousand years celebrated that Kane goal anymore.

Maybe in the stadium you get whipped up in emotion, but at home I wouldn’t.

Until refs can get some very basic decisions right then VAR is required.

We would be down 3pts on very obvious decisions and for what so fans can celebrate goals that shouldn’t be given in the first place.

The line/s in the Max Rushden piece about the Mount incident leading to a sending off only serves to highlight the inconsistencies in refereeing that drive me mad. Compare that incident to the Silva assault on Mo that lead to JĂŒrgen’s red card. Rushden states that Mount stayed on his feet and the ref called it back (correctly) for a foul. There have been posters on here who have bemoaned the fact that Mo stays on his feet and is too honest. It wouldn’t matter if refs regularly gave free kicks and cards for those seemingly innocuous little tugs that just put a player off his stride and break up moves.

As for “learning the laws of football”? It’s all very well, but if you have one referee giving a foul for a slight tug that puts a player off his stride and another who allows an ‘assault’ on a player that brings him to the ground then (as a fan) knowing the laws is useless.

And as a fan sitting in the stand or watching at home, it’d be helpful if we knew how the laws are going to be applied from game to game? I’m looking at you Anthony (let the game flow) Taylor. :rage::nerd_face:

6 Likes

It suits Taylors ineptitude to pre-warn managers he is going to let the game flow
 roughly translated into English means, he is a shite referee and by letting the game ‘flow’
 he wants to hide behind that statement rather than the world and its dog see how bad he is at missing the fouls and not calling them when they happen

I blame Riley first and foremost for giving these biased referees licence to judge a game as and how they see fit rather than applying the rules as they should be

5 Likes

Agreed, but that does not detract from the fundamental point of the article.

That’s just the ineptitude of the refereeing however. Just because a referee is wrong doesn’t mean that fans are right about what the referee is wrong about.

The basic point that I was trying to make however, is that a lot of the commentary is often woefully wrong, whether it’s fans, or more consequentially, the talking heads who help to shape the narratives around the game. The latter in particular often obviously have no clue what the rules are, and only acknowledge that some of the time.

I’m outraged a lot about refereeing, because in my sense of what is right and what is wrong, it doesn’t line up. I’m not that familiar with the rules myself, which is why I’m often asking in match threads why something was or was not a foul. But reading through the various explanations offered, it is at least clear that few people have an idea of what the rules are either.

That original article about VAR completely glossed over the fact that the rules were still interpreted correctly in the two matches, no matter what the commentariat wants to say about it.

The goal should be to strive for perfection, not give it up because there are teething mistakes.

3 Likes

And not give self interested people an avenue to deflect from not getting a result they needed by taking seriously complaints about VAR decisions that were correct.

3 Likes

New ref (for us in Prem) Simon Hooper watch against Southampton:

1st half: Gives Mo a, GASP, free kick and a yellow for Caleta-Car in the opening 5 minutes

HT: no doubt his oranges were taken away and had to receive an urgent stern Zoom chat with Mike Dean.

“look son, if you want to stay a ref in the top flight

”

2nd half: Mo gets absolutely nothing out of him

1 Like

The sign of things to come – Maybe
!