The Referees or The Twelfth Man

Maybe the FA should look into family members of the referee as first logical place to start looking for duplicity.
It makes you wonder how much the family members are making whom are connected to the of the likes of Cootes, Taylor, Attwell, Tierney etc… Especially the games LFC are involved in… Easy for them to predict a penalty against us… or a defeat… or specific number of yellows…

1 Like

I know a little bit around betting, I know fixes are ever present especially down in the lower leagues but more often than not it’s the other way round…where the player gets himself deliberately booked. What I’m unsure of is, are the actual family member(s) who profit from this be penalised and prosecuted?

At the minute it’s all “is understood”, “alledged to have”, nobody trusts the FA to come to any real conclusion behind this but one thing they need to be aware of is the number of fake betslips, especially electronically (which in real time look 100% real) that people have claimed to win in what’s a separate act of fraudulent activity.

1 Like

Was it you talking about the betting scandal at Stanley a few years ago? The thing that struck me about that was I knew about it while it was going on, despite living 6000 miles away, not being someone who is involved in regular betting in anyway, and knowing none of the players. I still knew it was happening and even which games and what the right bets were.

Don’t believe so, not on it’s own anyway , might have brought this up when discussing Toney few months back.

Conspiring to match fix is something I’ve always found interesting…not the reason behind why , that’s easy enough to figure out even for the average fan like me, but the technique behind keeping it hidden, how long in the making to plan, the types of people involved and their connection with the game (if at all) etc.

The report highlights another flaw in the set-up that is prone to be exploited by those of that ilk.
It is not beyond the realms of possibility; and there has to be a first time for everything; a referee tells his brother-in-law to get down the bookies and put a bet on for him… 50/50 split on the winnings…!
Small and often, no electronic paper trail as such… get a nice holiday out of it every year… a house every 5years etc… Who cares how it effects the team on the receiving end.
Point being… The football authorities promote gambling… serve them right if it came back closer to home and bit them on the arse… It also highlights, no matter how big a game it is… the result very much rests on the man in the middle… Whether it takes place or not, it does remain prone to corruption, and this is a major flaw in the game as a whole at the moment… What’s the alternative… Who knows :man_shrugging:

I think that was my point…the Accrington Stanley case was not remotely hidden and so either those who werent involved either felt powerless to do anything about it, or it was trivial enough to their actual success (first throw in) that they werent bothered by it.

Very easily done like you wouldn’t believe.

Also the bookies don’t care in the slightest who that person is walking through the door i.e whether you have a relative currently working in the game…some don’t even ask for ID.

2 Likes

The same brother-in-law could put half a dozen different bets on in half a dozen different towns with differing type of prediction forecasts for each game… with everyone of them being correct at the end of the 90mins… Winner Winner Chicken Dinner…!

Didn’t we recently go a record number of 46 games without conceding a penalty. Maybe the refs made a few bob on that :flushed:

Rival fans seemed to think so.

1 Like

Two clubs have not been awarded a PL penalty this season. Bournemouth is one of them. Guess who the other is.

2 Likes

Problem is I can’t remember many cast iron penalties for us.

Not saying it’s not been obviously a fuck in the past I’m just saying the reason we are nowhere near the top this season isn’t down to the refs for once.

Maybe you could give us the details instead of just posting some half-arsed question?

Anyone know what’s happened to Kavanagh?

It came to my attention a couple of months back that he hadn’t reffed us since February last year. Did a bit of research the other day and he’s only done 5 PL games this season and none since October.

If I was someone who thought he was bent as a dog’s back leg like some people do then I’d think there was something going on.

3 Likes

Not sure why he hasn’t been near us…
Here is part of his CV from last season though, this might shed some light

Controversy[edit]

Everton Football Club complained to the English Premier League demanding an apology for the poor standard of refereeing in their game at Goodison versus Manchester City on 26 February 2022. Kavanagh was the VAR official who failed to award a penalty for a clear handball after match referee Paul Tierney was unsighted. Everton manager Frank Lampard stated he was ‘a professional who cannot do his job right’ and ‘incompetent at best’.[6] Former referee Mike Riley, Managing Director of the Professional Game Match Officials Limited contacted Everton and apologised for the mistakes.

It’s not just pens. I think Arsenal and United games are two in which we can legitimately claim we got fucking shafted.

2 Likes

Arsenal yeah, I’ll give you that.

Maybe worth highlighting this post from the beginning of the season highlighting the very rule change that should have seen Mo be given offside

Maybe worth highlighting it to PGMOL?

1 Like

If only we had our referees standing up to explain

Probably just be incoherent nonsense let’s be honest…