The Referees or The Twelfth Man

In a game with such fine margins though a breakaway run could be vital.

I absolutely hate it especially when say Burnley do it and all 6 of the defence ended up on a yellow card.

The ref then gets coy and won’t book again if it happens. Conor Gallagher last week should have had about 4 yellow cards

1 Like

Professional foul was a red card.
That stops it, once equity is achieved in decision making. Not the City type but real equity.

I’m actually alright with these, but it’s just the inconsistency, and the reluctance to issue a second yellow card thereafter. I see it even when it’s our players who should really be walking off the pitch…

Unless I’m mistaken, whether a yellow card is given or not has nothing to do with whether the player in question already has a booking. So why is it that referees don’t actually apply that?

Honestly, I get what you’re saying, but I also think there’s a certain degree of skill in ensuring that they spread out the cards. Having said that however…

This is the real problem.

It’s like the problem with timewasting. It’s a valid team tactic, but it’s frustrating when the referee doesn’t issue the consequences of doing so. The literal one positive of the World Cup was the length of matches getting closer to what they should have been, and it’s really something that needs to be brought into the rest of football.

3 Likes

The punditry couldn’t stop moaning about it though.

1 Like

Professional foul is what we used to call it and a player can only be shown a red card for denying a direct goal scoring opportunity, unless a penalty was awarded and they were making a genuine attempt at the ball.

Therefore what Dunk did, as the law stands cannot be given a red card!

If giving a yellow meant a lot players wouldn’t do it.

Thats why we as fans sometimes say that our player should have fouled said player in a build up phase to a goal

Agree with the length of extra time at the World cup, but that isn’t the answer.

The answer is to issue a yellow card for delaying the restart of play and in a GK’s case when they take longer than 6 seconds award an indirect freekick to the opposition as the law states and a yellow card

Bit of A, bit of B, really. I’d very much prefer for the added time however if it was a choice between one or the other. Just prolong the agony for the time-wasting team.

The time wasting is also used to break up good spells of play so yellow cards and added time are a must.

As much as I love Liverpool, I also enjoy watching 2 teams trying to play good footy and within the spirit of the game.

The last game against Brighton was a good watch both teams trying to play footy

1 Like

Then, instead of introducing a third card maybe revisit the sanction fir professional foul.

I think the odd bit of shihouse tactics is part of the game. If the refs clamp diwn the players get the message.

The reason I stated the third card is to perhaps take some of that straight decision between yellow and red.

If pundits are moaning about ruining the game (and to be honest it feels it happens less than it used to) then there is that option.

So what next after sin bins?
FML

1 Like

Oh no…not more cheese ladies…

Could be worse.

We could try to create atmosphere with fans

fuckin hell

I saw this, went to a Galaxy vs Sounders game to watch Gerrard and Keane play. the atmosphere was fucking brutal, the YNWA that went through the crowd when Stevie took the pitch was better than any “crowd” cheer.

1 Like

Agree completely.

Take the CL final last season. In the second half, we were on the ascendency. Then Real pulled out their interruption tactics - player feigning injury, time wasting, etc. All to disrupt the flow of the game as we didn’t let their midfield and defence breathe. Ref didn’t do anything about Real’s dirty tactics.

And then Vinicius scored against run of play, directly after more Real shenanigans.

So adding more time like in the WC is just a plaster. For games to flow, ref needs to just use the tools already at their disposal.

1 Like

I don’t mind the time-wasting bit as much nowadays because I’ve come to see it for the valuable tactic that it is, but I think referees need to do something about players rolling back onto the pitch after getting injured (or “injured”).

Send them off, I’d say, or at least issue them a booking.

1 Like

This is where an additional card option might work. Ref produces a green card, allowing the other team 2 minutes of red arse before restarting the game