The Referees or The Twelfth Man

We aren’t going to get anything. Fucking crooked refs

2 Likes

Just saw an article on TIA interviewing Gallagher. I wonder because I can’t remember: how was Gallagher as a ref during his active time? He certainly sounds sensible in this case.

1 Like

it’s the same SSN stuff I posted in the TIA article.

In terms of him as a ref - yeah he was fine, but he also stopped reffing in the PL in 2007. The advent of VAR, HD telly and social media have really put the level of scrutiny up on refs since that time.

1 Like
2 Likes

Just wondering… Now Mac has had his red carded overturned… meaning the VAR did not do the job it could have done on the day… or more precisely, Tierney did not ask the referee to view the monitor…
Not sure Howard Webb can sanction too many numpty’s at the one time, because his pool of referees seems too small, and it does not seem adequate to cover all the games - could this be the reason no action will be taken against referees at certain points of the playing Calender…! :thinking:

I don’t think every wrong decision should be sanctioned to be honest.

This went to an independent review body (who knows sits on that). The other was a clear and obvious error that went unpunished and retrospective decision could be implemented.

If you follow the FA referee thing on Twitter/x you’ll see the leagues have about 4 or 5 a month that get overturned :see_no_evil:

1 Like

So let’s just say that in a hypothetical situation, this was a key match of the season and a non existent red card is given which loses the team points in that particular match. What’s the situation then ?

Sorry , we fucked up ?

1 Like

Well it goes to an independent review body as it did and looking at the 4-5 that got overturned every month last year then yes that is actually it.

Have to say following it I was surprised how frequent it was.

‘Pathetic’ Mike Dean admits not correcting Anthony Taylor mistake ‘because he’s a mate’

Former Premier League official Mike Dean has shockingly explained the reason why he failed to get Anthony Taylor to show Tottenham a red card against Chelsea last season

Mike Dean has confessed to not correcting a decision on VAR because he didn’t want “mate” Antony Taylor to “get more grief”.

The now-fully retired former Premier League referee, 55, spent last season solely as a VAR official at Stockley Park after calling time on his on-field career.

On just the second weekend of the 2022/23 campaign, he and Taylor both failed to punish Tottenham defender Cristian Romero for pulling the long locks of Chelsea’s Marc Cucurella at Stamford Bridge.

A VAR check was conducted and the final decision was no red card for violent conduct, allowing Spurs to swing in another corner from which Harry Kane made it 2-2 in the depths of stoppage time.

In the following week Dean admitted he’d got it wrong in his Daily Mail column - but he’s now shockingly said it was motivated by a feeling of sympathy to Taylor.

“I missed the stupid hair pull at Chelsea versus Tottenham which was pathetic from my point of view. It’s one of them where if I had my time again, what would I do? I’d send Anthony to the screen,” Dean told Up Front With Simon Jordan.

"I think I knew if I did send him to the screen… he’s cautioned both managers, he’s had a hell of a game, it’s been such a tough game end to end.

"I said to Anthony afterwards: ‘I just didn’t want to send you to the screen after what has gone on in the game’.

"I didn’t want to send him up because he is a mate as well as a referee and I think I didn’t want to send him up because I didn’t want any more grief than he already had.

“Anthony, he is big and bald and ugly enough to know if he is going to the screen he is going to the screen for a reason. If someone pulls their hair now it’s dead easy. It’s just a brainwave by me, a really bad call by me, and it kind of affected me as VAR going forward.”

Dean, who’s now working as a pundit on Sky Sports’ Soccer Saturday, also candidly revealed he would fear the games he was due to oversee as a VAR official, which led to him calling it quits at the end of the last season.

He added: "That was a major error. If they don’t score from the corner it is not as big an issue. But I knew full well then I would be stood down the week after. I asked to take a bit of time off because it wasn’t for me.

“I used to get in the car on a Friday and was dreading Saturday. I was thinking, ‘I hope nothing happens’. I used to be petrified sitting in the chair.”

1 Like

How many more VAR officials prioritise their Mate’s best interests over the correct decision? :nerd_face:

7 Likes

Here’s Paul Tompkins updated version of his analysis of Paul Tierney and LFC. It was updated after, and because of, the Bournemouth game.

I don’t know how the PGMOL can continue to ignore these stats. Tierney shouldn’t referee any our matches again.
https://twitter.com/paul_tomkins/status/1694737720944247151?s=20

He just protects his mates. The only media guy, who just so happens to be a very recently retired PL ref, who said the Alexis red was fair.

2 Likes

Mike Dean always thought that he was the most important person on the pitch.

He should paint his bald head purple, because that is exactly what he is.

1 Like

The whole damn cartel. Oliver is probably the only guy who’s relatively unbiased.

1 Like

Any time you ever hear a ref speak about their decision making they say inexplicable shit that gives you even less confidence in the way the game is being reffed. This has always been the big limitation in sharing the audio.

1 Like

The Tin foil hat brigade says hello to the doubters.

New York Yankees Baseball GIF by ESPN

2 Likes

The problem is this just shows more incompetence and boys club mentality.

People will say it’s openly corrupt when in actual fact this just highlights a level of amateurish behaviour that really needs kicking out.

Any geographical location that has a slight impact on anything that’s happened to Liverpool football club and it’s deemed he will be openly harsh. Yes last weeks ref got it wrong and he needed support and he weren’t getting it from a rather appalling ref who is openly bias towards us.

But the ref in general for the rest of the match, he was fine. Sadly because he was let down by someone with more seniority he now carries that.

Do we want better refs? Yeah of course, how do we get it? Don’t get your kids pulling VAR signals or get grown adults to actually behave like adults at park games.

We lose anyone without an attitude at that level.

3 Likes

The pool number of referees is not big enough to cater for all the games… It is a closed shop because of this

1 Like

Doesnt this supports the “inexplicably shit” argument rather than the bias or conspiracy arguments? Although in fairness they are probably not completely distinct.

4 Likes

Well…apart from it being the opposite. This is pointing out what 100% of the non-tinfoil brigade have been saying all along: That the refs have absolutely no clue at what they are doing. And you are somehow connecting dots between a dodgy decision process for a game between the Plastics and Spurs and widespread Liverpool bias? No-one ever doubted that these guys reffed like it was an Under-10’s match. But many doubt that there is a giant conspiracy related to giving Liverpool a raw deal.

Its actually a little scary some of the post retirement comments about not calling a decision to protect a mate, or to give a team an evener-upperer in a Champions League final for an earlier bad call. The embarrassment levels are off the charts with how incompetent these guys are and making stuff up as they go. I would be fucking fired already if I was this bad at my job.

Get the fucking robots running this show already.

7 Likes