The Referees or The Twelfth Man

how many fucking direct red’s did liverpool recieve last year. If anything , we are the side which does the least amount of cynical fouls and we’ve got 2 direct red’s in 3 matches,

1 Like

We’ve won the fair play award for about 15 seasons in a row or so it felt like it.

I blame Macallister.

1 Like

which was barely a yellow card , but yeah.

Im taking the piss.

3 Likes

We have 7 points. Should have been 9.

2 red cards. Should have been zero.

Trent gets fouled today and sees yellow.
We’re the better team vs Chelsea trying to win the game and Trent sees yellow for time wasting during a throw-in in the 68th minute.

3 Likes

Another week-end in the PL, but still the same corrupt shite:

6 Likes

They will be stood down for a week and then return probably for our game.

4 Likes

All I can see this doing is adding additional comedy to the game.

I haven’t had the chance to see it all yet as it doesn’t appear to have been posted by the US broadcaster yet, but the bits I have seen have been very disappointing from Webb. As is often my complaint with Refs doing public communication, Webb leaned too far into giving his opinion on what decision VAR should have made without explaining why. Too often the explanation is just circular nonsense - “the ref made a wrong decision because I think it is a foul”…“I think it is a foul” is not an explanation for why the ref’s decision was wrong. This is exactly what he did in identifying the Akanji offside from last week.

1 Like

That piece is enough.

1 Like

What chance do the fans have of understanding what goes through the referees mind… Even the managers are struggling with the way games are officiated

Posted at 17:5417:54

‘The officiating is appalling, seriously what’s going on with our game?’

FT: Tottenham 2-1 Sheffield United

Sheffield United

Sheffield United manager Paul Heckingbottom to Sky Sports: "Spurs are a very good team, and we had to really defend well but also when we could, we played. We created chances ourselves and up until the very end we limited Spurs to efforts from outside the box.

"Sometimes you’ve got to accept you’re going to give some things away. We defended our box very well and went in front, missed a couple of really good chances ourselves, so to lose a game in that way is really cruel. But it doesn’t change our performance.

"Now I want to focus on the performance, we did that today.

"We had to concentrate all game, it was a fatigue thing, the pressure they put on us. They had to take a few more risks so their shape slightly changed. But it’s two lapses and we’ve been beaten 2-1.

"It is what it is, but we’ve got to focus on the performance. We were close to getting three points, then one and then it slipped away. But like I said to the players, we’ve got to keep focusing on us and what we do.

"Something needs to be done now. And this is not me moaning, I said it half-time and when we were 1-0 up as well. The focus is on timewasting so the referees are dictating how we play. We set up from the back, then Spurs push forward and then that dictates how we play. But no, we’re just told to play long. You can’t do it.

"Wes (Foderingham) got a yellow card for handling outside the box and then got threatened with a sending off (for timewasting) you can’t do it. The officiating is appalling, and it’s not about the football decisions, it’s just game management.

"My worry is all the focus is on yellow cards for time wasting and when I talked to the referees they haven’t got a clue what I’m talking about. they’re officiating the game, they simply do not know the game.

“We need to sort that and sort that quick. It’s ruining the spectacle. And then to sum it all up we get Ollie McBurnie sent off for telling the referee someone is pulling his shirt. We’ve just seen someone lead with an elbow into our goalkeeper who needs stitches and that’s the same offence. What’s going on, seriously what’s going on with our game?”

1 Like

He’s venting and misdirecting. This has little to do with not understanding the decisions

1 Like

So the guy wasted time and was on a yellow but the ref didn’t send him off.

1 Like

Maybe I just don’t understand football, but I’m thoroughly enjoying the added time this season. Maybe the evolutionary pressures will force the time-wasting teams to actually improve?

4 Likes

It’s far too early to draw concrete conclusions, but the embryonic league table is possibly already showing the benefits of additional stoppage time. The top of the table is dominated by teams who play football, whilst the cloggers are generally lower down.

It’s going to be interesting to see if this trend continues.

1 Like

Hefty fine incoming. Or maybe not because he’s English.

2 Likes

He’s right, though.

1 Like

We’re seeing some really bad examples of Ref’s making a point of enforcing the directive. See Trent’s yellow against chelsea, but the overall effect has been positive.

2 Likes

What a crock of shit. Getting on like he has some kind of football enlightenment that no one else possesses. I think it’s great that keepers are being penalised for time wasting. What the fuck does he want? Everyone to just sit around waiting for teams to reset 2-3 times before keeper decides what to do? It’s not chess ffs, just get on with it

2 Likes