The Referees or The Twelfth Man

Webb can take his apology

1 Like

That’s insufficient, only because all the talk revolves around the VAR.

What was the assistant VAR doing?

Also, it completely ignores how bad the refereeing itself was. Hooper should not be given a top flight game again without a complete investigation into his finances, etc.

2 Likes

That excuse/explanation is complete bullshit, IMO. Will they release the audio? Why are they not yelling at Hooper when he calls offside and awards the free kick?

Also, what about Hooper’s complicity in this? Does the in field official not make confirmation of the call by VAR?

Ass covering of the nth degree by Webb. He, specifically, needs to go, as he is the overseer of a broken system. PGMOL needs to be swept clean and rebuilt to have any shred of credibility in my eyes.

5 Likes

And!!! Wow wuuppidoo…too late…

1 Like

Liverpool could be fined after VAR controversy despite PGMOL chief Howard Webb apology

PGMOL chief Howard Webb contacted Liverpool to apologise for the officiating error that led to Luis Diaz’s goal incorrectly being disallowed against Tottenham Hotspur, but the Reds could still be fined by the FA after being issued with eight yellow and red cards

Liverpool could be hit by a ÂŁ25,000 disciplinary fine by the FA following their 2-1 defeat to Tottenham Hotspur on Saturday.

The Reds, who finished the game with nine men, suffered a last-gasp loss following Joel Matip’s 96th-minute own goal at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium. Meanwhile, Liverpool were left infuriated after the PGMOL confirmed after the game that Luis Diaz had earlier wrongly had a goal disallowed for offside due to VAR human error.

2 Likes

We should claim that we simply didn’t see the invoice.

7 Likes

Alpha Webb is proving to be the Liz Truss of the referee world…
Serious questions need to be asked about this guy if standards continue to slide… he seems to have done nothing since taking the role, but make the job more confusing for both his henchmen and us fans

Was that “human error” down to Darren England’s parents not using contraception?

Get Howard Webb to pay it.

I’m pretty sure that quote is fabricated. It’s been doing the rounds for years, and Halsey has claimed he never said it.

1 Like

It’s an accumulation of various quotes. The first bit was discussed here:

The bit about the cards was here:

I suspect that the spot fixing bit was made up.

Edit: he may have said the opposite wrt bias:

I dont have time to check, but if this is real…

“VAR officials Darren England and Dan Cook were officiating a match in the UAE 48 hours before the Spurs vs. Liverpool game, reports Paul Joyce”

Proceeds to butcher the team that could go over the UAE representative team in the PL.

VAR officials punished! Darren England & Dan Cook taken off Premier League games following Luis Diaz offside blunder in Liverpool’s defeat to Tottenham.

And what do we hear about ‘one way’ Simon Hooper?

1 Like

So Hooper set to referee a game on Monday. The VAR decision allowing them to distract from the on-field performance and brush it under the rug.

Looks like they’re going to back up the officials with regard to the red cards and shrug their shoulders at the VAR cock up.

3 Likes

Did anyone genuinely expect any other outcome?

1 Like

My thoughts as well. Wasn’t feeling optimistic of the outcome of any appeal even before these suspensions anyway.

There is enough here regarding Man City for Liverpool to rattle cages if they really want to. They need to be briefing client journalists about this.

2 Likes

They may very well be but why would someone use those quotes against him?

FWIW he’s perhaps one of the main ex-refs who’s gone on record and criticised VAR in various interviews and podcasts.

1 Like

VAR is not the problem.

The referees running it are.

6 Likes