The Referees or The Twelfth Man

Dyche actually made the same point as you. Said he was a fan of VAR technology but pointed out how ridiculous it is when refs go to monitor as we all know the outcome anyway. Kavanagh should have been able to go to monitor and realise the VAR was being a dick and stick with his original decision

2 Likes

Ah well, so much for that idea.

Nonetheless, I still think that refereeing standards would improve if more ex-pros became refs, be they on the pitch or in some room at the FA HQ.

How many of us ex very amateur players took up refereeing?
Very few.
Because its a poison chalice, where abuse and criticism surround every decision.

I would never have reffed, though a mate pleaded with me to give it a go.

The successful refs, the ones who didnā€™t listen, who stood by decisions, who didnā€™t give a fuck when they were wrong were egotistical, vain would be policemen or teachers. Failed at power in their lives and became omnipotent twats on the pitch.
Most professional players wouldnā€™t go near it.

4 Likes

We had one over here. His name is Dick Jol and he played professional football in Belgium and the Netherlands. He was an absolute asshole as a player always in trouble with referees and opponents so he became a referee himself.

As a referee he refereed the final in WC for club teams several matches at the EC in 2000 and the CL final in 2001 between Bayern and Valencia.

He was a better referee than a player and always told players: the shit you think you will get away with I have invented so forget about it. :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Martin Odegaard handball VAR appointed referee for Liverpool vs. Fulham - Liverpool FC - This Is Anfield?

1 Like

Thereā€™s VAR for the semis right?

Lemme guess: Paul Tierney?

A natural born POS :face_vomiting:

1 Like

Survival of the shittest.

1 Like

Iā€™d lay off teachers, head of academies yeah.

1 Like

Yet more blatant examples of refereeing inconsisteny at best, gross bias at worst.
Elliot booked for dissent after a routine foul.
Ogegard commits routine foul, shows same dissent, nothing.
Ben White assaulted Jones, how the fuck was that not a yellow?

6 Likes

Jorginho went ballistic early on, and I said to the wife, ā€œThatā€™s a sure yellow.ā€ But no. Told her watch, first back talk by a Red, and heā€™ll book em. Iā€™m looking at you Harvey.

3 Likes

Apart from the bookings not being given for dissent and a few fouls for them diving I thought Brooks was ok, weā€™ve had a lot worse.

4 Likes

He didnā€™t have a big decision to make, thankfully - but he was a classic ā€˜homerā€™. All they had to do was throw themselves on the ground and he would give them a free kick. I counted three shoulder to shoulders he gave against us, and the dissent thing was absolutely ridiculous.

On about 60mins we got a free kick and the Arsenal fans started chanting ā€˜whoā€™s the bastard in the blackā€™, which shows the myopic nature of fans. He gave them everything.

1 Like

He didnā€™t, thats why Odegaard was whingeing.

But they did get more than us, but mostly he was better than what we have had.

He gave us fouls when it was obviously a foul, but he most certainly leant towards the home team in his decisions. We were penalised for dissent, winning the ball, shoulder to shoulder physicality and Arsenal were getting free kicks for flopping on the ground under the slightest pressure.

Not only was it a rugby tackle, Curtis had beat him for skill and had a run on into the box. Ticks all the boxes for a yellow.

Jota - after the soft pen last week, all the refs will have noted it. He wonā€™t be getting a pen over the next few weeks unless itā€™s from a Harald Schumacher special.

Hmmm

https://www.reddit.com/r/LiverpoolFC/s/OpoeCcDXyi

5 Likes

The fantastic thing about that video is that the foul on Gravenberch was a yellow by itself given it was done right on the edge of the box after being beaten. Jorginho was carrying the ball and then threw it away, which again we are told whenever it happens to us is something the ref HAS to give a yellow for. Itā€™s not even that there is discrepancy between Harveyā€™s punishment and their punishment. Its that he let them get away with bookings and then direct abuse towards him and still not do anything.

2 Likes

FA go against the VAR ref (Michael Salisbury) over the DCL red card.

Dominic Calvert-Lewin: Everton successful in appeal against red card at Crystal Palace - BBC Sport

2 Likes

Referee & VAR confirmed for Bournemouth vs. Liverpool - Tierney is back - Liverpool FC - This Is Anfield?

@Dutch