The Referees or The Twelfth Man

By doing the challenge system you remove the need for a VAR official. You just need the tech to load up the footage and the ref goes to the monitor to review for themself

1 Like

I’m not sure this would remedy the situation. Some may be self-assured enough to go against their original call, but I fear many would not be.

In US American football, and baseball, they have groups that look at the challenged play, and make their determination as a collective. Some of these are retired referees, but many are trained to do the job. This is the route I’d like to see the PL take.

What PL training would entail:

“Make sure you screw Liverpool.”

1 Like

It would lose some of the ambiguity though. Ref would be solely responsible for their decisions, with the benefit of hindsight. They could still be biased on decisions that are by their nature ambiguous, but it would make it more difficult…

Anyway, I feel like I’m beating around the bush. Ideally some principled investigative journalist (said in a zoolander voice that obvs :wink:) does their job and exposes the corruption/ match fixing that is the actual underlying problem.

US sports are comfortable having a team collectively making decisions. Football has and continues to view the authority of the single ref as being integral to the game. Is there a question about how stuck in their ways a ref would be to be resistant to overturn on of their decisions on request of a player? Sure. But the point is there is at least an application of VAR that doesnt need a second person second guessing the ref’s subjective calls and that can be built around retaining primary authority of the center ref.

Favorite Liverpool Fan Channel.

4 Likes

Just watched MOTD. Tierney is a cheat. No two ways about it. Well… Either he’s biased or corrupt or both. So three ways I guess.

4 Likes

VAR is a joke. Even if the ref is biased and does not see anything wrong with studs above the ankles, the VAR can actually look at the replays and support that onfield decision? Joke.

2 Likes

It’s not VAR which is making the mistakes, it’s the humans operating it.

3 Likes

That wasn’t a mistake from the VAR operators, it was pure 100% blatant cheating.
If the benchmark for a straight red is Curtis Jones’ tackle, then that was a red card all day long.

4 Likes

What drives me up the wall is that nothing will be made of Tierny because we won 4-0. Had we dropped points, the media would have taken a closer look and Webb might have been forced to issue another apology.

That challenge was a leg-breaker, which could have easily ended Diaz’s season or worse and the refusal to punish it shouldn’t be swept under the carpet because we won handily and Diaz escaped relatively unharmed. I’m going to repeat myself and say that the something has to be done about Tierny. Either preferably behind the scenes or, if need be, in front of the press. Bring attention to the cunt and his track record against Liverpool.

4 Likes

Unsurprisingly, that little rat Gallagher reckons Kluiverts challenge on Diaz wasn’t a red card offence, because he was ‘nudged’ by McAllister.

1 Like

Making it up as they go along.

So the nudge by Macca makes it all okay - weird how the nudge on Mo a few weeks ago, forcing him into an offside position that resulted in a goal being disallowed against us being also fine.

Wink wink nudge nudge…PGMOL are shit.

1 Like

Honestly I think a yellow would have been fine IF Jones’ tackle (which had more mitigating circumstances) was also a yellow or less.

It’s a fucking joke that they can’t have consistency over something so basic. Total incompetence, or worse

4 Likes

The absurd situation is football gets so many of the bad outcomes it does in the interest of pursuing consistency among different refs. The authorities say to get better consistency they have to create clear guidance on how to apply the rules so that everyone goes out with the same understanding. The problem is as good as these may look on paper there will always be situations where the guidance fails and forces a ref into a bad decision - “I dont personally think you should punish this, but with the way the handball rule is interpreted now I have to.” Ok, if that is why Jones got his red then ce la vie.

And then they dont fucking apply them. SO their hands are only tied when they want them to be.

1 Like

It was worse than Jones’ tackle. Jones was unlucky, Kluivert was reckless. It was as clear a red as you are likely to see.

3 Likes

For me any tackle that results in one players foot/studs going into another’s above the ankle = red card…I don’t even see any subjectivity in it, intention no intention, a simple straight up red card. You can’t be do anything but endangering the safety and it’s dangerous because we’ve seen players end up with broken legs.

I thought Jones was a red, I thought Gusto on Willian the other week was a red card and Kluivert’s was no different, for me it was worst because he gets none of the ball and goes in more forcefully.

I’ll be intrigued to hear what Webb and his cronies made of it on their next programming…actually no I won’t, not even gonna waste my time.

As long as the refs and ex refs keep mentioning intent, or where his eyes were looking, the longer there will be inconsistentcy across the league.

1 Like

Football journalist refuses to upset the applecart.

Quelle surprise.

2 Likes