The Referees or The Twelfth Man

Untill they fuck with Suderland …

The question i have is, why didnt someone in the wall, that is facing the ball/Toney, shout to the ref/keeper that the ball had been moved, allowing the ref to consider it, and more importantly, Turner to reset the wall.

Forest needed to be smarter there imo. We know the refs aren’t, and cannot rely on the ref alone.

Its the same thing that Wilson points out.

What i dont agree with, in that article, is reference to the Spurs/Diaz event and the ‘theatre’ caused by writing to PGMOL. That was a blatent example of inept refereeing that needed calling out.

1 Like

The inability of the press and pundits to respect the difference between our response to what happened with the diaz goal and what other managers did when they simply didnt like the decisions they got is as much a cause of the poison as the incident itself. Neville did it yesterday on twitter, claiming liverpool started this, and I fucking hammered him for it. I bet he’ll think twice before saying something fucking stupid again now :joy:

1 Like

I wonder what they would call if this guy went in studs up :0)

He is rapidly becoming a parody of himself. It’s absolutely absurd for someone who built his career worshipping at the alter of ‘suralex’ to try an occupy the moral high ground when it comes to respect for referees. Let’s ask Mark Clattenburg how he feels about a protege of Ferguson demanding respect for refs.

I shouldn’t need to go into the ridiculousnesses of Gary trying to blame Liverpool on this site. The guy wakes up in the morning wondering how he can blame Liverpool for whatever ill is currently blighting the game. Pay him no attention.

On the Toney thing, he is obviously a shithouse, but I was honestly expecting something far worse than what I eventually saw. There is more yards stolen on every single throw in than he stole on that pitch. Possibly, his lengthy ban has turned him into a bit of a pantomime baddie, and just routine shithousery is going to be a major story because it’s him. Much like Suarez, whose serious transgressions then saw minor, everyday rule bending cast as dark villainy.

I don’t think there is much wrong with Forest asking for clarification of the rules. It’s a fair thing to ask. Although, they might also want to spend some time sorting out their wall on free kicks because that was shocking.

3 Likes

Dear me, what can I say, flabbergasted, totally flabbergasted …

Wednesday 31 January 20:15

Liverpool
VS
Chelsea

Referee: Paul Tierney Assistants: James Mainwaring, Scott Ledger. Fourth official: Andy Madley. VAR: John Brooks. Assistant VAR: Sian Massey-Ellis.

4 Likes

Can we never be free of this cunt?

3 Likes

The rules on this are already clear. If they genuinely need an explanation for it, someone at the club needs to be fired. This is not a question being asked in good faith. It is a manager distracting attention from his side’s limitations to point the finger in a direction they know fans will lap up and the press will advance uncritically.

As for why the outrage over what he did…it’s proper shit housery. On free kicks players will routinely move the ball to get a better lie, or try to nick a yard or two. Its even fair to say that as long as the ref lets you get away with it then there is nothing wrong. Except when you consciously try to cover your tracks in an attempt to deceive people as he did by moving the foam. It’s cheating, and done calmly and consciously. I’d feel pretty comfortable calling him a cunt for it on any day, but doing something so flagrant on that day…SO yeah Im sure some of the response was an over reaction, and some that was likely overly reactionary based on who he is. But the flip side is it is precisely because of who he is, and what that day represented that makes criticism of him as an individual, beyond criticism of this act of cheating per se, so justified.

There is footage of Klopp interrogating the 4th official on Sunday and from reading the lips it appears is complaining about VAR not getting involved in something (maybe the diaz incident? Maybe the Jota pen appeal?) and then saying “oh, it’s Paul Tierney” then laughing in realization that we’re fucked :joy:

1 Like

I find it really strange that Toney has had far more criticism over moving the ball a yard (something all players would do if they thought they’d get away with it) than for for his gambling offences.

He bet on his own team to lose 13 times ffs. Was hardly mentioned as he was welcomed back by Brentford and the media like the Messiah

1 Like

All the while, Brentford are sponsored by a betting company…

As for Tierney being in charge for the Chelsea game - only one thing for it - smash a few goals past Chelsea and don’t let the poor decisions (that will be made - fact) influence the result of the game.

https://x.com/benjaminlfc/status/1749413589411139709?s=20

I dont know if that is what he said, but I can buy it

1 Like

So sar we had

Paul “Klopp hating” Tierney 6 times Referee 2 VAR 4
Chris “greater Manchester” Kavanagh 5 times Referee 4 VAR 1
John “mr. tough guy” Brooks 4 times Referee 1 VAR 3
Simon “I’m too fat to run” Hooper 3 times referee 3
David “incompetent tosser” Coote 3 times VAR 3
Antony “born and raised in Manchester” Taylor 3 times ref 3
Newcastle Oliver 3 times referee 2 VAR 1
Craig “seems oke” Pawson 2 times referee 1 VAR 1
Darren “the blind one” England 2 times VAR 2
Tomas “don’t know you” Bramal 1 time referee 1

MO we never see

Peter Bankes
Samuel Barrott
Jarred Gillett
Michael Salisbury
Thomas Bramall
Josh Smith
Tony Harrington
Graham Scott
Sam Allison
Darren Bond
Robert Madley
Rebecca Welch

2 Likes

I don’t understand this surely referees should be spread around evenly or do they try and save on travel?

1 Like

With all the money that goes around in football saving on travel would be an extremely poor excuse.

Travel doesn’t seem to be a thing, I remember being bemused last season when Kavanagh was ref for a Bournemouth home game. Then again it was against Man Utd so maybe he travelled down with them.
We should treat Tierney with the contempt he deserves. No heating or hot water in his room, lukewarm tea and grease the dressing room floor. And I am being serious.

1 Like

There are one or two that will be blocked for our matches because they are a stated Liverpool fan or, more likely, they originally officiated for Liverpool County FA. However, the number of officials that we never see is astonishing.

Do they get a higher fee for us than, say, Luton?

Referees are awarded the so-called ‘golden’ matches if they are deemed to have performed well beforehand.
That’s right, we get Taylor, Tierney etc so often because they are good at their jobs.

I wonder what other officials think about that

If restricting travel was an excuse used by PGMOL for keeping referees local…
How do they explain letting them officiate thousands of miles away in the sand dunes then…!

3 Likes