The Room 101 thread

I don’t disagree with you on most cases with respect to this issue. But I’m not ruling out some disorders etc as well w.r.t obesity

Either way, They should imo either pay for 2 seats or the airlines/buses etc should be looking at coming to an alternate arrangement for them. Either way is not an easy solution.

And you fail to recognise that its not all about the physiological aspect surrounding food/weight.

But knock yourself out with your winning hand.

Has everything to do with physiology. You can’t think yourself to gain or lose weight. This is so simple it’s laughable. Eat more get fat, eat less get thin. Exercise plays a part but walking to Dunkin Donuts doesn’t count.

Wow
You really are fucking obtuse.

Maybe consider the post @Sithbare put up earlier.

I have, lots of pieces of paper from doctors that allow people to gorge themselves without any guilt whatsoever as it isn’t their fault.

Oh, and that accusation you threw at me groundlessly that you continue to fail to retract. Want me to save it for every exchange in the future or want to take it back? I don’t mind. And I’m not obtuse (another Oscar Wild level insult) I’m factual.

You absolute world class cheese sandwich.

I’d leave it. Calling somebody fucking obtuse isn’t exactly friendly now is it. Particularly if they have medical papers to prove it’s not their fault…

You are being obtuse on this issue.
Despite being asked to think outside the physiological reasons for weight gain. You continue with the same argument, about how.
Without considering the whys.

As for being friendly, I really cant see why?

Your reference to medical papers is puzzling. I am unsure if its a reference to what is pointed out to you in this discussion.

PS
Obtuse is not directed as an insult.
More an observation on your inability to consider whys.

Bollocks, you pre-fixed with fucking.

Actually
Yes
Fucking obtuse.

But that’s actually the key point here. What causes weight gain? Insufficient excercise and excessive eating. The reasons are irrelevant. We’re talking about what causes it. Very simple.

The reasons are totally relevant.

Well then, to the forum at large, this person considers it to be fucking obtuse to state facts. And then won’t retract when called out on bullshit. What a member. In both terms.

To the forum at large,

Stating facts is not always the end of a discussion. There are extenuating factors in this discussion, that @Klopptimist fails to recognise.

In doing so he is being obtuse.

So you admit I’m factually correct.

I claim my £5 and victory!!!

As a point of interest, how much of the scientific literature have you actually read regarding metabolism and obesity (or cachexia for that matter as the flip side)? It’s actually very complex, rather than your simplistic viewpoint, and often counter-intuitive.

It is actually very difficult for people to maintain gained or lost weight simply by force feeding or starvation. As a flip-side there was a rather unethical experiment done in a US prison in the 1970s whereby prisoners were made to put on weight by overeating. This initially had the expected effect but they reached a point whereby it was not possible to gain weight and afterwards they lost all the gains.

This came as counter to the expected outcome as incarceration was known to cause weight gain but this was largely an environmental rather than a dietary cause - although given that the food intake would have been highly regulated this shouldn’t have come as a surprise.

I’m not sure what the exact split is with obesity. Some of the hormonal ones can be spotted a mile away (Cushing’s syndrome, for example) but I suspect a good deal of it is environmental. I doubt there is very much that is actually people deliberately force-feeding themselves.

2 Likes

Glad to see we aren’t missing @Mascot

We appear to have a very competent stand in…doing a great job is our @Quicksand

1 Like

You admit you are arguing a complex issue on one linear aspect?

@RedWhippet has a nice post above.
Have a look, its not as simple as you contend.

I’ve been on a more fundamental level all along. If you pick up a 10kg weight and get on the scales, your weight increases by 10kg. Consumption is, on it’s fundamental level, exactly the same. You can’t put weight on if you don’t eat that amount of weight and more. People might be lucky and excrete the excess and some might not. But to claim that it isn’t all about consumption is factual nonsense. Physics stands here. You are what you eat I believe.

I don’t contend. There is no contention. Consumption above metabolic usage / exercise = weight gain. That can’t be argued with. As I KEEP saying.

Captain America Lol GIF by mtv