The Room 101 thread

zero desire for an EV. I do too much towing of heavy loads with my yard and such.

Or check if the light really turns off when the door closes…

Our PHEV is currently in the garage………

EV range is still the issue. I have no desire for anxiety as I am stuck on the M1 in traffic, battery low, then 5 year old daughter needs a wee.

Until you can do 400 miles easy I am out be sticking with hybrid.

your PHEV won’t pull a 3500lb of dirt or firewood.

I had a Mitsubishi L200.
My sister in law, is massively into the Landrover club thing.

When she saw my pickup, first question she asked was, what’s it like offroad.

No idea, if I’m offroad dear, I’m hopelessly lost

It is said that if you own a four wheel drive Landrover - that has a winch on the front… and a telescope style exhaust pipe, It is virtually impossible to get bogged down, or stuck off-road anywhere…!
Well I remember that was what the salesman told us when we were buying some for quarry work…!
After many years use, they still proved to be as good as the sales spiel

I drove L200s in Cyprus. I never went ‘off road’ but TBF some of the tracks we used were ropey. The L200s handled them well. :+1::nerd_face:

as I’m getting older, am spending more time getting away from people. I hope one day to find a truck that will handle itself off-road yet not be a pig on fuel. the Toyota Tacoma(aka Hilux) and Nissan Frontier don’t market diesels in Canada yet or I’d already own one.

so my compromise was my Santa Fe with the 2.0T engine (1700kg tow capacity), and I have a small 4x8ft utility trailer to haul things around. and my 14ft aluminum fishing boat. for the time being, it covers all of my bases for yardwork, hauling materials, and my firewood.

spoken like someone who doesn’t understand where I live and what I do in my spare time these days. For running around the city, Mrs has a small Honda we use as a daily runabout. the Santa Fe is for family trips and everything else. But the Santa Fe has its limitations and won’t get me where I want to go in some places, like forestry road access points to some of the lakes I want to fish. I need a 4x4 for that and it would replace my Santa Fe AND my the utility trailer.

1 Like

but, how do all of your consumables arrive to whatever place you buy them? by purchasing said products, you ARE supporting that transport.

1 Like

No but my dad’s yeti will. Awesome piece of kit.

I have a couple of those. keeps my tequila&pineapple cold and my scotch & cocoa hot. they work brilliant.

folks have been sold a bit of a lemming on the EV idea. Once the masses realize the carbon footprint of an EV is pretty much identical or worse than buying a hybrid or a fuel-efficient vehicle, it’ll be a rude awakening. the existing power grids cannot keep up with a mass population of EV users. the infrastructure was not designed for that kind of draw.

as they have slowly started to invade our neighborhood by commuters, we’re seeing transformers starting to trip at night as they become overloaded at the distribution centers as folks are plugging their vehicles in when they get home, and then turn on their stove in the summer to cook while their AC is working overtime to cool the homes they’re running a stove in. it’s a fucking joke.

I’m glad that both Mrs and I work at home now.

I can see in an urban environment, no need for one. Mrs didn’t get her first car until 35 as she always lived urban. But that doesn’t work where we live, where we could afford to buy a home that fit our needs. We had to live rural, and that’s just not feasible without a vehicle here especially in winter.

we were under a foot of snow for almost a month last year between mid Dec and mid Jan. Mrs’ little Honda just sat in the garage, it couldn’t get past the snow bank from the plow.

He had me at engine capacity, trailer load and boat size.

As an aside, I’d be surprised if your £500 lunches consist of readily available UK grown ingredients.
If you really wanted to to go whole hog (pardon the pun) you’d eat simplistic meals that can be sourced and put on the plate with as small a carbon footprint as possible.

Raudz Kitchen in Kelowna BC. Fine dining, everything served sourced locally including the wines. it’s a great concept kitchen and celebrating 15y in business.

Manbags that have straps which are not long enough for purpose… :0)

People who complain about other’s avatars….

Leaf blowers. Most useless piece of kit known to man. Just watched a guy using one and getting hugely frustrated when the leaves kept blowing back to where he was standing but he just kept going :roll_eyes:

I have a leaf sucker. A very useful piece of kit :wink:

2 Likes