The Room 101 thread

All the pot smashers and hand clappers at 8pm on a thursday, who immediately started resenting key workers as soon as they were bored of the pandemic.

7 Likes

Binmen in big cities in France have the most powerful unions ‘ever’. Marseille and Paris look like landfills within 2-3 days when they go on strike.

Doesn’t work here in little Orange as the mistral blows all the rubbish down to Avignon then Alés and finishes up in the Med.

Have you read Travels with my Aunt?

No should I?

I have read all of Graham Greene’s novels. One of my favourite writers.

Sorry, I might be confusing travels with my aunt and letters from my windmill. One of them is definitely set in your neck of the woods!

I can’t respond to this without kicking off another row. Let’s say that highly skilled nurses, doctors, teachers etc ARE key workers. I can’t run an MRI machine but I could empty a bin. As could every ambulant person in the country.

People who don’t support strike action

3 Likes

Go on then. Stop moaning and clean your town up instead of relying on the state.

3 Likes

Rely on the state? Would you like me to photograph the full bin i have right now that I pay for as it’s business??? And as I pay council tax (home), how is that relying on the state? It’s paying the state for zero service.

There’s always one.

Go on then pick 'em all up and empty them!

3 Likes

Mine for being an idiot or their’s for striking?

My favourite bit about this response is that you moan about nurses, doctors and teachers striking as well.

2 Likes

I moan about anybody striking.

Unless they are scoring for us, presumably :wink:

How dare anyone inconvenience you in their pursuit of fairness, equal pay, correct pay rates, terms and conditions etc.

4 Likes

I’m specifically talking about binmen here. If you don’t like the job, conditions, pay etc, there’s an option. Take it, don’t hold my town to ransom at the crazed left’s expense.

Except, of course, that it has nothing to do with the “crazed left”. Local services have been outsourced to private companies, who treat their staff abysmally and pay them the least that they can get away with in order to maximise profits.

4 Likes

Whats the option?
Leave?
Or accept poor pay and conditions without the right to withdraw labour. The reason that workers in any sphere or profession have rights is because of the development of trade unions. In fact, I think particularly in Ireland that collective bargaining in public service has reduced the impact of unions.

People rarely strike for no reason. They take action because employers don’t look after their workforce or because negotiations break down.

In Ireland, the government has allowed health services to deteriorate because they are unwilling to pay staff in a manner that affords them status. The unions are blunted by various agreements and the emotional blackmail of not being able to withdraw service.
In a world where I am union leader for nurses I would serve notice of complete withdrawal of services until needs were met.

Your binmen are striking for a reason. Your local council or agencies are the problem. Not the workers

2 Likes