The Rugby Union Thread

Did not expect that result. But then I also didnt know the game was one, but had I have known I wouldnt have expected a Wales win.

1 Like

I was also very worried before kick off. But a big step up in physicality in what was a game that didnā€™t show much attacking flare. Defenses ruled this one.

That may have been by design to some degree, simply keeping the game away from the Scotland backline

Hold on just anothā€¦ three no 4 steps ā€¦ shit! :rofl:

Whoā€™s winning this, Wales or France?
Due to work Iā€™m not getting to see any of this. :sob:

Overall, France for me. Theyā€™ve just beaten their main rival for it this year.

1 Like

I think Wales did come with more of an edge, but I think there is also an element of paper-scissors-rock there. Ireland are fierce at the breakdown, and simply commit one extra body almost every time. Wales did not have a good response to that, their attack seems very much aimed at spreading the field wide, and creating ā€˜podsā€™ of 3-4 players ( I use pods because I donā€™t know if there is rugby conventional terminoology). Against Ireland, Wales very rarely got the quick/clean ball to make that effective.

Scotlandā€™s defensive style is dynamic, but much less intense on the counter-ruck/breakdown. As Wales got the ball clear from the first ruck, you could sort of see that they were able to do what Ireland just didnā€™t allow. Scotland had the one extra man, but he wasnā€™t always in the right place to stop the ensuing Welsh punch.

I am really interested to see Wales-France. France is better, no doubt in my mind. But while they are much more aggressive counter-rucking than previously, it is still the same number of bodies. Fundamentally, they arenā€™t contesting the breakdown the way Ireland does. That worked against Ireland, however Wales will ask a different question.

2 Likes

England dropped a few levels when he came on, strange stubbornness from Jonesā€¦ giving youth a chance all round the park yet Youngs still playing too many minutes at scrumhalf. He really is slow in all aspects of play and kicks it far too much.

Some fantastic observations. Youā€™re correct in that Wales ā€œwantā€ to play in two separate forward pods and play it wide but the plan is basically to keep as many players ā€œliveā€ at all times i.e. basically on their feet. This means we can get stuck in this stupid ā€œone upā€ mentality which just opens us up to the counter ruck and turnovers. Thatā€™s basically Irelandā€™s game plan, in part. A bit dumb in some senses from us. But also credit to Ireland in developing a plan that works around keeping the 10 protected and live as much as possible. That allowed them to target our weak 13 channel.

my favourite rugby commentator seems to agree with you or did you sneak a look beforehand?

1 Like

No, I fully confess to having my views formed by Squidge. I was watching Wales-Scotland and Ireland-France with that firmly in mind.

2 Likes

Which makes you extremely observant of the tactical nuances of these games. I applaud you, I hadnā€™t picked up on it initially.

Well Done Applause GIF by MOODMAN

I find I am getting really good value from keeping the themes he identifies in mind going into match-ups. It really feels like I am moving up the learning curve right now

1 Like

Can someone please reassure me that Gauzerre isnā€™t reffing the game again this weekend?!

I Hope Please GIF

That ref, how much did he try and let Wales win.

Wouldnā€™t let a single quick penalty go all game until the one at the death. That inconsistency must infuriate players. Yes they should be ready anyway but when heā€™s not let one go all game youā€™ve conditioned the players not to expect it to happen.

That was just one of many very poor decisions he made in the game.

Yep denied England exactly the same chance and we would have scored, the penalty for a knock on at the death was also rubbish, he was trying to catch it.

Only saw this part and no, that was a penalty. Lucky not to be carded. Thatā€™s just the way that rule works. Similar cards earlier in the contest already

Iā€™ll try to catch up with the rest later.

Man, France is looking good, winning in different ways. I donā€™t recall a half quite like the 2nd half versus Scotland, not from France anyway. Scots had most of the ball, but played in their own end most of the time.

Really devastating last 2 minutes of the first half for the Scots, that 2 try swing might have set things off in a different direction.

Non, cā€™est du ros beef pour lā€™aperitif. :rofl:

I havenā€™t seen any of it due to work. :frowning_face:

Maybe I just donā€™t agree with the rule as he was clearly trying to catch it with one hand for me (his hands are like spades). He definitely was not slapping it down which to me is the carding offense.