The Rugby Union Thread

But you know if it were a footballer the media would be hanging them out to dry already

The Mendy story was around for a week or so before he was named.

1 Like

Bissouma was named in the media before he was charged if I remember correctly.

Wasnā€™t he photographed handcuffed by someone coming out of a night club or similar, and then had it splashed all over social media?

1 Like

Good. I think England would be much better off without Farrell. I think weā€™re a much better team without him but Jones seems to obsess about him.

Damn. Thatā€™s one less player we can wind up now.

6 nations kicks off this weekend. Something else Iā€™ve been completely blind sided by.

This whole pandemic has really muddled everything up and refocused certain thing and completely blurred others

2 Likes

A welcome change of pace, although it starts with the most bitter contest for this household.

Urgh, awful. Ireland deserved everything and more. Wales deserved nothing other than the penalty count. Probably the worse Welsh performance since the mid 90ā€™s.

We honestly looked like a side where the coaching staff had been driving round Saturday morning knocking on doors asking people if they wanted to play.

If Ireland scored 50 Iā€™d have no complaints. Game stats will be quite revealing I bet. I suspect Metres gained will be will say a lot. Easier to look at what went right. The answer is nothing.

Wooden spoon this year. We look worse than Italy and possibly even Canada.

2 Likes

Yeah that was terrible. For years Wales has often felt like a top side limited by their inability to get their best side on the pitch and unable to call on the depth other sides had. The former issue certainly seemed to be exacerbated by Gatlandā€™s very physical style that precipitated injury absences. But in more recent years thereā€™s been a seeming increase in depth and a switch to Pivac, but I no longer know what we think our game plan is and to resort to having to play Adams in centre undermines any argument about depth. Was on WhatsApp with the lads back home throughout the game and they could only really cite 1 injury absence that explained this decision. Thatā€™s shocking.

1 Like

Ben Youngs must be the slowest scrum half in world rugby.

It was an experiment that didnā€™t work for me. Iā€™ll concede the back line had zero platform to work off. I doubt the backline made a single yard all game. North and Davies were the missing centres I guess.

Wainwright is not an 8 either.

Lineout was a mess, scrum awful, and the in game decision making was amateurish at best.

No sign of any shape / game plan either, even when they did have the ball. Not even able to pass the ball along the line.

Credit must also go to Ireland. They reverted from there normal game to a running one,simply playing what was in front of them. Wales didnā€™t react to it, keeping the back 3 deep.

I see Ireland make more yards with ball in hand in the backs than Ive seen from them in years. You cannot blame that on one person, but it certainly didnt help to have a winger looked lost in the Centre.

This Scotland side donā€™t quite have a distinctive style of play, but they have a real knack for just staying in the fight.

Dont care about style! :grinning: :grinning: :grinning: :grinning: :grinning: :grinning: :grinning: :grinning: :grinning: :grinning: :grinning: :grinning: :grinning: :grinning: :grinning: :grinning: :grinning: :grinning: :grinning: :grinning: :grinning: :grinning: :grinning: :grinning: :grinning: :grinning: :grinning: :grinning: :grinning: :grinning: :grinning: :grinning: :grinning: :grinning: :grinning:

Eddie is not pleased

No you cant, it was largely because Wales kept their back 3 deep and Ireland to their credit ran everything and ran it hard. That playing off a great forward platform including numerous lineout turnovers.

Wales on the other hand took everything standing still and could barely string 2 passes together.

So, I couldnā€™t remember what time France-Italy was, and jumped from the BBC piece on Liverpool-Cardiff to their rugby coverage. They are saving themselves some timeā€¦they already had the headline ā€˜France leads Italyā€™, opened up DAZN to catch the national anthems

edit: this is proving to be a much better game than I expected

Wales conceding too many stupid penalties at the moment.

The try saved Scotland a yellow. Should be thanking Francis.