The Rugby Union Thread

I was surprised to see that Scotland result, haven’t watched it yet.

Not that great of a Six Nations this time round.

Awful actually. The decline has been dramatic. I want to look through the second half again. First half defensively was ok. But the basic errors being made (with allowance for the conditions) I’m finding hard to stomach.

A combination of blooding new players and a new coaching team in a 6 Nations environment is just not a great idea. It was needed however, but the difference is massive. I was not ready for that, it’s not helped by the attacking style that caught the eye at the Scarlets being non existent.

Not sure where we go from here to be honest. Time I guess but I am concerned.

I’ll get my dad to create an account and post his thoughts on the Wallabies…good for a laugh…

1 Like

None of the games were to the quality I would expect - Ireland probably should have beaten France, between territorial play and possession, but the ball hit the ground in open play shockingly often. So many mistakes from the Irish, and the French appear to be built to take advantage of that.

Very much. But to Frances credit they are damn good in standard play as well. They don’t give you much.

Ireland should have done better I agree but it comes back to that point of accepting that France will score at least twice. That’s some handicap.

1 Like

They’ve got some promising young players developing and will likely improve. They’re not a bad side, they’ll probably stand up more than ok against the northern hemisphere sides, largely if anything.

Indeed re: Bledisloe Cup chances. NZ have quality throughout and have introduced some new young players as well. There’s a lot of room for growth in this current NZ side.

not sure what to make of this to be honest. Something isn’t working but I cant really point the finger at anyone in particular as yet.

Warburton also left as the breakdown coach earlier (October) and the breakdown has also been an issue, before and afterwards.

Nailing down the cause of the problems is difficult given that there are so many and there’s so much going on within the squad

1 Like

Another really poor performance by Wales last night. Credit to Ireland but we are a mess.

I’m lost where to look right now.

1 Like

Yeah, but New Zealand eh? :rofl:

1 Like

I’ll swap you Wales for the Wallabies…

1 Like

Yeah, what’s going on over there?

They lost to Argentina for the first time ever.

1 Like
1 Like

Aussie Rules has taken over and League is experiencing somewhat of a resurgence.

Throw in the old boys’ club mentality from decades past and Aussie rugby is absolutely fucked.

Doomed…100%…in 20 years we will be Italy…

2 Likes

Sad times. I felt rumblings of this when I last visited Aus way back in 2001. Lions tour and people just didn’t know. More interested in the State of origin series.

Perhaps we could swap our wooden spoon for a didgeridoo? We make really superb spoons.

And aren’t the All Blacks in the firing line for once.

Nice.

Inquests, crisis after losing 2 in a row. It’s like Barcelona or Real when they lose.

And to make matters worse, they still beat us for the Bledisloe!!

1 Like

I thought Ireland were fairly erratic too, loads of surprising mistakes on both sides. But the Irish steadily imposed their game.

Yeah, you know what you get from Ireland. Really abrasive at the breakdown and a good platform. A good kicking game from Sexton as well.

Wales at the moment though seem utterly lost. No hints at any sort of game plan / style of play and really basic errors to top it off. Question marks over certain selections too which are perfectly valid I think given how the game played out.

I’d have to question whether some of the new lads are actually ready for test rugby at this level.

1 Like

Botham’s grandson? Fucking hell that makes me feel so old!

2 Likes