The Rugby Union Thread

Jesus. I’m old enough to have remembered Liam being presented as the new hope.

2 Likes

Even worse that his son played for Cardiff as well. I’d already stopped playing when he was playing. That’s a whole career that slipped by somewhere.

2 Likes

Squidge’s analysis of the Argentina win is as good as always. I need to track down his recent analysis of the Wales games as I’m in the mood for more torture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fj1xyrDV3LU

2 Likes

That win over Wales didn’t help Ireland much, very similar errors in play against England.

I haven’t seen it yet but that result feels right in a kind of form way> England are strong and playing well, Ireland solid and good in patches but not where they were.

Wales kind of got past Georgia. Not a lot to say other than the weather.

Squidge’s analysis of the Wales Ireland game. While I agree that the problems are down to too much change, too quickly he’s a little more optimistic than I am with regard to easy fixes. I hope he’s right!

1 Like

Did he call himself a Walish person?

yes, …I winced.

WTF - just saw a ‘Christophe Dominici dies in fall’?!? Have not seen a story explaining it at all

bizarre circumstances.

That raises at least as many questions as it answers. Very strange, and likely very sad.

1 Like

A very sad situation. A typical French flair player Dominici from what I remember. RIP.

1 Like

He was plagued by depression all his life from what I can gather. Just not enough support for people like him once he falls from the limelight I suppose.
He was a wonderful player and when well came across as a good fellow to know however on occassion he ‘acted’ strangely. So all together hard to fathom for ‘ordinary folk’.

Edit: I wrote ‘depression’ however perhaps ‘mental health issues’ would be better as it wasn’t just depression and these things tend to be pretty complicated.

2 Likes

Decent analysis again of last weeks game between Wales and England. I have to agree that England’s kicking game was exceptional, especially in the first half. Pretty turgid game to be honest though.

1 Like

Is that a Squidge one again?

duh

yeah I’ll remember the link this time.

3 Likes

Pool A
New Zealand
France
Italy
Americas 1
Africa 1

Pool B
South Africa
Ireland
Scotland
Asia / Pacific 1
Europe 2

Pool C
Wales
Australia
Fiji
Europe 1
Final Qualifier Winner

Pool D
England
Japan
Argentina
Oceania 1
Americas 2

Best case scenario for us is probably Pool D. Feels like Pool C is more likely.

1 Like

NZ were very unprofessional. Nightmare game really. NZ breathes rugby and that was hard to take.

Destroyed Argentina in the second game though and that was always on the cards. Ultimately we should have won by another 15-20 points.

Won the Tri-Nations in the end. Not pleased with the performances but we’ve still got the best players and team in the world. There’s also scope for a lot of improvement and with certain players returning to the fold.

Interesting draw. No qualms myself. Not sure why they need to do the draw so far out. Seedings can easily change. Wales for example. No disrespect.

1 Like