The Rugby Union Thread

It’s an absolutely farce. It’s not only self evidently dumb, but is something they’ve already been burned on by ending up having the number 2, 3 and 4 ranked teams in the world in the same group. Didn’t they promise after 2015 they would rethink doing it this early.

3 Likes

I think the logic was that the return to play is subject to such uncertainty - Canada’s last match was in the World Cup for example. There is no intention of doing the groups this far out for subsequent Cups.

I don’t think that is a great draw for NZ, at least to the extent that the strongest team can get a bad draw at all. France is probably the best team in Europe, despite the recent loss to England, seems more likely to improve over the next 2 years, and in terms of style I think presents more of a challenge as a Band 2 team than any of the Band 1 teams actually would for the All Blacks.

England, Australia and Wales. That was a doozy. Rugby should learn from this.

1 Like

France have a good team. Can be quite unpredictable and playing at home will further strengthen them but still back NZ to win. Quarter final wise you’d be looking at South Africa, Ireland or Scotland.

I would expect the All Blacks to win as well, but that will be one of the key match-ups across all of the groups, where the only other top seed in a group facing a tough road is Wales - but that is more a function of their relative weakness.

Back in time for the world cup if selected.

One point is both NZ and France will be on opposite sides of the draw. Similar to the 2011 world cup. Met in pool stages then again in the final.

If France remains competitive they should back themselves on home soil to beat South Africa, Ireland or Scotland. A few years away yet so a bit difficult to judge how good certain nations will be.

1 Like

Not sure how to take this. No fans and lots of player movement etc. At least there will be games to look forward to

1 Like

Easy win for France. Italy just don’t have the technical skills. Also Italy couldn’t cover the French kicking game.
Ref made some errors. Should have gone back for 1 of France’s tries he who scored it was definitely infront of the kicker. Also 2 massive errors at scrum time penalising the Italy 17 when it was clearly the French 18 at fault what can you expect English ref (no clue he did sort it out eventually but one of those errors led to a try).

England woeful. Back to the indiscipline of old. Billy looks so unfit, that yellow card just sums his game up.

1 Like

Well Scotland still can not score even when they dominate. England were in with a chance as just a fluky try and conversion would have done it.
England didn’t seem to have anything, no power game, no kicking game and didn’t even try running. What I can not believe is that Jones bloke is still there.

Ireland 1 man down after a red card. Wales shocking in the line out

The match is a bit more even with Ireland at 14. Sure Wales will pull away as the game goes on but not too encourageing for them.

I’m enjoying it regardless. Wales are looking far more solid than they have done since Gatland and Edwards left.

But Wales can’t get there hands on the ball at the moment. And the line out is shocking.

Ireland have just scored too.

1 Like

It’s a really good contest. I would say all the matches have been good despite no crowd. So so far good that they went ahead with it.

1 Like

The intensity is fantastic.

Just to say the red card is an excellent example of how VAR should work

1 Like

Wales need to re-concentrate on their discipline. It was Ireland that were under pressure at the start just because Wales were so disciplined. I think frustration at not being able to take advantage of the extra man has caused them to over compensate. Get back to the basics and things should start going their way.

1 Like

Possession will be key I think. Ireland always dominate possession. Key thing for Wales is to turn that round

1 Like

Sexton and Murray playing well is the key to me.Put more pressure on them and things will change. So concentrate on Murray as Sexton is lying so deep even Linford Cristie couldn’t get to him. :astonished:

Edit: Oh! and improve that kicking game. When in 22 kick to touch.

There you go @Noo_Noo Wales scrape through in the end (didn’t see it though Liverpool had started against ManShitty.