The Rugby Union Thread

Looks like London Irish have not met the conditions for that one week extension, with the deadline at close of business today.

1 Like

Not sure but the article states that Webb’s has simply decided to get a paycheck abroad.

The Jones and Tipuric ones are a little more complex I think.

Odd temporary stay of execution for a week for London Irish. Odd because they have been given one more week at the request of players and staff (who rec’d 50% of May wages), but it sounds like absolutely no one actually expects the takeover to proceed - certainly not in that one week window

1 Like

HMRC has filed a winding-up petition on London Irish, which is probably the end of that story.

I’d say rugby in England is in full-blown crisis.

1 Like

I was about to say “rugby union”, I’m not sure how League survives.

Then again the crowds always seem to be relatively full. It’s also playing throughout the summer.

There is also the fact that Rugby League looks to be living within its means, at least from the outside that is how it appears

1 Like

League is basically non-existent here, so I forget the need to distinguish between the two

1 Like

And yet it’s clubs aren’t going bust every five minutes :wink:

They also have french clubs involved in the code. So that might be something that the Super League is the major league in Europe where with Union it’s not.

https://twitter.com/TimesSport/status/1667290482555367425?s=20

The purge is well under way now by the looks of things. I’m kind of hoping that this is a case of things getting worse before they get better but it feels like we’re on a cliff edge.

It feels like a reset but this happening at the top level would really bite if they dont sort out the youth and lower league levels. If they dont address the issues in the player production line this will all be for nothing.

Good performance from NZ.

Excellent from Argentina.

1 Like

I don’t think Bourgoin, Bairritz 
 would agree with that.
Sure Toulouse, Clermont have the support and Racing have the sponsors the rest need excellent management.
A major factor is the capping systems. The English one is stupid and that shouldn’t surprise anyone, just look how the country is run 
 into the ground.

Can’t wait for tonight’s opening match. Could be the best RWC yet.

1 Like

Looking at recent results, I would pick South Africa and France as the 2 favorites.

Scotland could be a dark horse but have a habbit of blowing up in WC’s so not 100% convinced by them

England and Aus look like they’ll be lucky to get out of their groups

1 Like

South Africa and Ireland are my two favourites, with Argentina my dark horses.

The draw is a joke, but still think we can do it :ireland:

2 Likes

I went with France at the work sweep and that was based on their defence which has been another level of late. Could have gone for any of 4 teams to be honest even before you look at group C and D fixtures. South Africa have looked ominous

It honestly crossed my mind that Eddie (Jones) of Australia could go full Eddie and almost throw a game depending on how results go in Group D.

But the idiot that I am, I’ve decided to go camping. Looks like we might get some nice little waves for surfing tomorrow.

2 Likes

This is amazing

Stunning performance from the French.

Just remember kids when you are all bitching about the standards of football officiating: a four metre forward pass resulted in a try for NZ tonight with a linesman in a good spot to view it, and even the video ref did nothing.

It could always be worse.

3 Likes

The way forward passes have become tolerated over the last twenty years or so has really ruined my enjoyment of the game.

2 Likes