The Rugby Union Thread

He did drag down a rolling mall that had splintered Fiji’s pack and were odds on to go over a score

If I were Gatland, I’d be furious at some really stupid stuff I saw in that last 20 minutes.

If I were the Fiji manager I’d also be questioning why Wales weren’t reduced to 13 at one point.

I think we got away with it being honest. There were some positives though.

2 Likes

I’m having problems following referees decissions this WC. The commentators tell me what the penalty is for then a replay is played and I still can not see it!
… Oh and why are South Africa allowed to stray blatently off side, stop then when ball is released go again without getting back on side? makes blocking those outside channels with aggressive defense soo easy. (They were very impressive otherwise!)

1 Like

No issues with that, but Wales should have had at least 2 more yellows after multiple cynical infringements on their own line. They must have been given 5 ‘final warnings’.

Had to be conscious or unconscious bias at play there

Gave several penalties and then warned them and then Fiji turned it over, I did think he should have either warned them earlier.

But you can’t argue their yellow

It’s great because I haven’t a clue about the rules so I’m just watching it in blissful unawareness

2 Likes

I’m surprised we didn’t get given one more yellow. Maybe the timing if Fiji’s try had something to do with it, or when they spilled the ball over the line etc.? I honestly don’t know.

One standout stat from that game. Wales 248 tackles Vs Fiji 70. That’s crazy.To give some context to it. The average tackle count is 130 tackles per team per game (depending on where you look). The highest in a 6 nation’s game is 253 (also by Wales)

1 Like

The knock-ons are horrendous.

They also drink a lot of Lager mainly Kronenbourg in half pints which is brewed both in Obernai (they brew 300 other beers there) and in the UK by Heineken

Proper Kronenbourg is, and always will be, brewed in Schiltigheim.

Anything else is but an impostor.

1 Like

Still tastes funny.

I’ve found the latest round of games fascinating. The lesser teams have at times proven themselves to be awkward and refuse to roll over.

No surprise results thus far but it’s been far from plain sailing in some instances.

1 Like

That Fiji win over Australia makes that group very interesting now. Fiji has played both of their tougher games, setting up Wales-Australia as a massive match.

3 Likes

Can someone explain the Aussie try to me. The aussies kicked it into touch from open play then took a quick line out to themselves and ran it in.

There was a Fijian player who touched it once in touch. Is that what allowed the aussies to steal the restart? And if so, when did that rule come in?

50-22 rule. Came in a couple of years ago

1 Like

Also can someone explain to me how the forward throw onto Mahler’s head gets cancelled out so England score a try because it hit Mahler’s head? :crazy_face: :rofl:

Did I really say earlier in this thread that the Aussies would walk in to the semis.

It’s very confusing to us old timers, I have decided not to try and understand anything about the laws this World Cup as the refs seem to make it up as they go along. I even turn the commentary off as that’s even more confusing. What I can not do is get rid of the box that appears when a tackled player apparently holds on to the tackled player to give away a penalty. (I think the penalty is because the tackled player didn’t release the ball when challenged for it but who knows these days?).

1 Like

My problems with Rugby at school were:

1, Its brutality
2, Its incomprehensibility

50-22 has been the rule in 6N and other competitions for a couple of years. If you kick the ball from your own half and it bounces in opponents 22 before going out, then you get to throw into line out. A positive rule change to try and create more space for attacking teams